FYI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
When the instructions say to use 3 inch screws, USE THREE INCH SCREWS.

Attachments

• IMG_0121 copy.jpg
    IMG_0121 copy.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 640
LOL, don't you just hate that!

:lol: :lol:
Who follows directions?

I have a few 1/4" x 4 inch Tapcons leftover from a past project,they should be strong enough. ;-)

BK's right; BL will expose any weaknesses. :smirk:
At least that's easy to pick up; I stacked a row at SIL's house...and it fell back into a small ravine. :shut:
On the plus side, I just found out that she re-stacked it already. I knew I didn't have a very good base under those pallets. I hope she fixed that...

bluedogz said:

That sucks, what year is the wood for?

zap

This is next year's wood, so hardly a catastrophe.

Duct tape my friend! Thats all you need!

KC

That stinks. Another lesson learned. But stretch a piece of bailing wire acros the top of those 2 x 4's, it'll help tie it all together. Oh yeah, thats some good lookin' wood there.

Bummer bluedogz. Better luck next time. How many cord do you have put up and ready? Is that wood for this year or next?

2 cords for this coming winter... this is the first cord of the '12-'13 wood... still have a huge cherry awaiting bucking too.

bluedogz said:

OOPS !!!!!

Cant beleave how much the price of screws have went up. Glad I had 20 lbs of ss 2-1/2 through 4 inch to start the prodject. One lb is now around 8.00$ Wow!

You mean to tell me that even if I RTFM, I actually should do what it says?

I'm only a man and that simply is asking too much.

smokinjay said:
Cant beleave how much the price of screws have went up. Glad I had 20 lbs of ss 2-1/2 through 4 inch to start the prodject. One lb is now around 8.00$ Wow!

Go to a farm store - around here 4" lags are $1.69/lb.

Dumb as it sounds, the 2x4s that you can see are fastened together with 2 1/2" decking screws, which would be fine except for the slight hill (barely visible in the photo) that puts more weight on the near end than the far end, so 3/4" of screw thread wasn't enough.

We will now re-test my carpentry with the black cherry I have waiting.

Shari said:
smokinjay said:

Go to a farm store - around here 4" lags are $1.69/lb.

Now your going to get about 3 lags lol. ss and triple coat screws are much faster and the count per lb is much higher and very strong for there size, but isnt a replacement for a lag. If it calls for lag its the only way to go.

smokinjay said:

I know, it's ridiculous. Ever buy any of those Timberlocks? HD offers financing for them.

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

I know, it's ridiculous. Ever buy any of those Timberlocks? HD offers financing for them.

Oh its bad when the hardware is more than the rest of the prodject put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.