Galvanic corrosion/open system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Stanley

Feeling the Heat
Dec 31, 2007
Southern ME
chickfarm.com
Does everyone(anyone) agree with this? http://www.radiantdesigninstitute.com/page46.html

I've been agonizing over this in piping up my Garn. I thought that ANY yellow metal (copper, brass, bronze) in contact with any iron or steel would be a problem. This says different. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

DIELECTRIC UNIONS

Here is a very misunderstood fitting, that is seldom used properly. The problem that a dielectric union is suppose to solve is a dissimilar metal problem between steel and copper, such as a steel water tank and copper pipe.
Dielectric unions in a hot water heating system are nothing but trouble and usually leak in a short time. The antifreeze, boiler additives or acid water conditions cause the gasket to deteriorate.
There are better ways to handle this problem:
FIRST REMEMBER THAT COPPER HAS NO PROBLEM WITH BRASS OR CAST IRON, IF YOU PUT A BRASS OR CAST IRON FITTING BETWEEN THE STEEL AND THE COPPER THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.
EVEN ON A HOT WATER TANK, A BRASS NIPPLE OUT OF THE TANK WOULD BE THE BEST CHOICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.