Galvanized flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
I just wanted to verify that a galvanized pipe for a flue pipe is a no no on a solid fuel stove, or furnace. Somebody was saying that galvanized is okay, and to replace it when it leaks. I advised to replace the flue with standard painted flue pipe and not run the stove without replacing it. Working with galvanized, it can produce toxic fumes with heated. I also know it may look fine on the outside, but crumble when touched. A very dangerous situation.

sometimes HT pipe has a galvaized exterior, and a stainless liner. That stuff is ok. Regular galvanized single wall snap pipe is not ok for connector pipe for the reasons you stated above.

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
sometimes HT pipe has a galvaized exterior, and a stainless liner. That stuff is ok. Regular galvanized single wall snap pipe is not ok for connector pipe for the reasons you stated above.
whats HT?

HT is the correct term for high temp pipe. Class A is a generic term for HT and regular pipe (the 1700* stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.