galvanized vs. stainless?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher

Sep 11, 2006
I need to install a new chimney and have noticed that galvanized is quite a bit cheaper than stainless. What is the difference between galvanized and stainless steel? Are there any differences in performance?

Thanks

both should have stainless liners. If you plan on painting the pipe, go with galvi. If not, the stainless looks good sticking up there. Functionaly, i dont realy know of any difference, that doenst mean there isnt any, other people here will speak up im shure.

Galvanized pipe won't stand up to the outside elements like stainless will. If the pipe is in a chase, you can use the galvanized, but if the system is to be completely exposed to the outside, you should consider only using stainless.

Corie, where in Pa does one find stainless pipe? I need two elbows, one 45, one 90, in stainless 4" for my Harman DVC 500. I went with galvanized last year and it's pretty much shot already. I can't seem to locate stainless 4".

trb157 said:
Corie, where in Pa does one find stainless pipe? I need two elbows, one 45, one 90, in stainless 4" for my Harman DVC 500. I went with galvanized last year and it's pretty much shot already. I can't seem to locate stainless 4".

what are you burning? corn?

No coal. The pipe is outside, looks just like a pellet vent system with a tee, a 2' section, a 90, then a 45. I need stainless for the elbows in 4"

trb157 said:
No coal. The pipe is outside, looks just like a pellet vent system with a tee, a 2' section, a 90, then a 45. I need stainless for the elbows in 4"
COAL? Running 4" galvanized , vent set up looks like pellet stove system ? I'm lost ! This can't be what I'm thinking.

Yes, the DVC500 is a direct vent coal stoker. In the manual it requires 4" pipe for the vent. It is exactly like a high altitude pellet system. The manual says any brand type L, with 3" clearance to combustibles

Yeah, this is commonly how the DVC-500 is installed out here.

To answer your question trb157, 4" stainless steel pipe is quite hard to find. I'll keep my eyes open for you and keep searching. Although, the inner liner of most L type pellet pipe is already stainless. Did your pipe rust from the inside out or the outside in?

I've seen the galvanized pipe last for a lot longer than a year on this same stove and same venting situation.

Depending on manufacture, L-Vent and Pellet Vent are the same product with different names. L-Vent is listed to UL 641 for venting high efficiency oil appliances with maximum flue temperatures of 570º. It has a galvanized exterior and a stainless inner liner. I know Metal-Fab's Pellet Vent is also listed as L-Vent and has a 3" CTC.

Webmaster said:
Mr. Fly - are you speaking about single wall stove pipe - or double-wall class A chimney?
More details on your install would help.

It is for double wall class A. I currently have an old pre-fab fireplace with a metal chimney that I'm going to completely tear out and redo for a freestanding stove. I believe the chimney is original to the house, which was built in 1978. The chimney is galvanized and appears to be in good shape. I'm not worried about the weather getting at the steel since this one seems to have stood up to the elements, I'm just wondering if there are any performance factors.

Thanks

I would think Galv exterior would hold up fine installed in place of such a chimney.

Of course, Metal is the expert in this stuff but the technology of coated metals has improved so much that some are almost forever - look at the 25 and 30 year warranties on Galv metal roofs. And, as you can see, your 1978 vintage stuff is probably 100% of it's original condition or close.

Bottom line is that the interior stainless is likely to fail before the exterior is. If you have some of the galv showing outside, a coat of paint on it will make it last even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.