Galvinized heatshield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Would like to fabricate a half round shield for single wall pipe out of galvinized corrigated tin. Would paint the outside black and leave the inside alone. The research that I did on galvinizing seems to indicate that anything above 700 deg. will give off fumes.
Shouldn't see those temps on the shield but anyone see a reason not to do this?
Thanks

The off chance that it does see 700 degrees?

It's not hard to light your fire and get distracted. I've smelt the hot metal smell more than I care to admit.

Matt

How close are you putting the shield, 700 degrees on the shield means you have got the stove pipe REALLY hot.

How close are you putting the shield, 700 degrees on the shield means you have got the stove pipe REALLY hot.

I agree that a shield at 700 deg. means that your flue is going into melt down. The distance can be what ever with spacers. Was thinking of 1" or less. I like the idea of leaving the inside of the shield shiney to reflect the heat. I have unpainted corrigated on the install of my shed, it never gets very warm to touch when the Mama is really going.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Attachments

• Man Cave.jpg
    Man Cave.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 129
I think you will be OK, the fumes would only happen if you had a oops moment and airing the house out should not be a problem.
Chimney fire would be bad but they are bad news any way (fumes from galv would make it worse)
Me myself and I would not use it, probably not worth it and I am sure if you have time you can find non galv. to do it with for little or no cost.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Let me add if you went with farther spacing it would be that much better.

"I have unpainted corrigated on the install of my shed, it never gets very warm to touch when the Mama is really going."
Well the proof is in the pudding and you sound confident it will not be a problem so trust yourself.

It's really hard to successfully paint galvanized material in the best of conditions. It won't stick to zinc and the galvanizing process leaves an oily residue. If you do try it, you could try using Stove Bright or some other heat resistant paint.

There may be some priming methods that would help, but I don't know if the primers would take the heat.

In our old Resolute setup I painted a galvanized sheet of metal with white high temp Krylon spray paint. Never had an issue with it. The key is to wipe it down with lacquer thinner or alcohol to get any oils off of it.

In our old Resolute setup I painted a galvanized sheet of metal with white high temp Krylon spray paint. Never had an issue with it. The key is to wipe it down with lacquer thinner or alcohol to get any oils off of it.
Thanks bg. I agree about the paint issue. I painted the fence I made out of galvenized strongbarn panels that I put around my wood storage and never had any issues with the paint. I realize it dosen't get any heat but the paint adhears very well.
So do you think this is a bad idea? I can afford to buy a pre made shield. Just like to do things myself

I'm no expert on galvanized fumes but it sounds ok. Another approach would be to make a wall shield with the metal instead of a pipe shield. This could be easier and faster imo. You could bend a 1.5" leg on each vertical side (and bend a 1/2" attachment foot too), then leave it open top and bottom by an inch. This is how I constructed the wall shield for our Resolute. Painted it with white high temp paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.