Gap between liner adapter and top of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terpsucka

Dec 4, 2010
Potomac, Maryland
Today I have my Jotul 550 Rockland opened up for cleaning (the baffles, burn tubes, etc pulled out) and I noticed that there's a gap between the stove and the liner. You can see it in the left-middle of the attached image:

IMG_3133.JPG

I think the part there is called the liner adapter. Anyway, I am able to shine a flashlight from above the unit, and at just the right angle I can see light from it inside the firebox of the stove. The thing of it is, I've been running this unit for 2 years, and I've never pulled out the unit or done anything else that could really have jolted the thing, so I suspect it's always been like this. The other thing is, I can't really move the adapter around-- it's in there really tlightly-- and I don't see how I could make it airtight at any rate. Is this something I could/should caulk or cement from the inside? How big of a problem is it?

If the insert is running great, it could be that the draft is strong enough to compensate. You could pack in some furnace cement in the crack if it bugs you.

If it drafts correctly, nothing will escape from there. As bg said a little furnace cement wouldnt hurt. Also a little rockwool packed gently in with a flat blade screwdriver would work too.

Last edited:
If it drafts correctly, nothing will escape from there. As bg said a little furnace cement wouldnt hurt. Also a little rockwool packed gently in with a flat blade screwdriver would work too.

Just to followup on this... I ended up sealing up the gap with some furnace cement over the summer. I had one warm-up fire on Sunday, then my first real fire on Monday and I'm almost positive I saw an improvement in performance. It's only a sample size of 1, but it was one of the best burns I've ever had, and it was in the 40s out, so not real cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.