Gap In Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mespork

Jan 7, 2008
Central NY
Hello,

I have a problem that I am trying to fix. The problem is that when burning a fire in the fireplace the house would fill up with smoke. I investigated to find that there was a gap going all around the firebox where it connects to the stone work that makes up the hearth.

What I believed has happened is that the stone work is on the second floor of the house. and unfortunately the floor supporting it sagged a bit after installation. I am relatively sure that it is not the chimney shifting as it is still flush with the roof and completely level. I am pretty sure that this is too much to fill with cement.

Does anyone have any advice of how to fill this?

Thanks

Is this a zero clearance fireplace or an entirely masonry assembly? If it has settled, what is to stop this from continuing to settle? Can you post a picture of the whole fireplace and some close ups of the gaps?

The fireplace was settling because the floor supporting it settled. It is an all masonry fireplace The flooring has been re-enforced up to prevent further settling. The firebox is still completely square and the fire-bricks are all in very good shape. The problem is that the crack seems to be ruining my draft. I will post pictures when I get home of the problem.

Here are photos of the gap (I filled it with fiberglass to stop any draft that might come through) and the fireplace.

Attachments

• fireplace.JPG
    fireplace.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 235
  • gap.JPG
    gap.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 251
You need to jack it up back to original height, then support well. At least this is what I would do. Why leave a gap there and need more fill. Get it back to where it belongs, sure it up, then seal any gaps left with proper materials.

mespork said:
That is going to be quite a project... I am going to have to figure out how to further re enforce the floor
If there is a basement or such underneath you can get to, wont be too bad.
In the old days it was jack and get some big posts underneath. Block would prolly work well also.

Status
Not open for further replies.