Gap in firebrick, cause for concern?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naehring2000

Feb 12, 2012
North Shore, MA
I bought an Englander 13 and as I was installing it I noticed a gap in the firebrick, I examined it and it appears the weld was a little fatter in that corner so the brick didn't quite fit like the one on the other side.

Should I fix this? I imagine that would create a hot spot.

IMG_0123.gif

If that gap is on the floor of the stove I personally wouldn't be overly concerned about it. But it being a new stove, I would talk to the place where you bought it so they are aware of it and have them put it on record. Eventually that gap will be filled with ash and that will insulate it from the heat. If the weld is fatter than the others on the stove I would imagine that is why the brick was cut shorter.

Scotty Overkill said:
If that gap is on the floor of the stove I personally wouldn't be overly concerned about it. But it being a new stove, I would talk to the place where you bought it so they are aware of it and have them put it on record. Eventually that gap will be filled with ash and that will insulate it from the heat. If the weld is fatter than the others on the stove I would imagine that is why the brick was cut shorter.

The brick is actually the same size as the one on the other side, it was just pushed further under the vertical brick lining the wall so it would fit, so I could take a little bit off that 45 angle with my tile saw but if it isn't a concern than I won't.

Yes it's on the floor.

Ash will fill in the hole. That is the main purpose of a lower heat break in fire. You never want to fully remove all the ashes because of their insulating capabilities.

seeyal8r said:
Ash will fill in the hole. That is the main purpose of a lower heat break in fire. You never want to fully remove all the ashes because of their insulating capabilities.

Excellent! Thanks for everyone's input!

Status
Not open for further replies.