Garage heating with pellet stove in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cardr

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Ohio
New to the forum, and new to pellet stoves.

Here's what I want to do. I want to be able to heat my garage cheaply and efficiently. I have a 2000sqft basement unfinished that has a chimney waiting for a stove I believe. I have several questions for the experts!

1) The chimney is made of the orange/pink clay tile for I assume a wood burning stove/fire place. Can I run the exhaust from the pellet stove directly to this, or do I need special pipe up the chimney?
2) With this big of area in the basement do I need to run outside for fresh air, or can I use the volume of air in the basement?
3) I want to pipe the hot air out to my garage. Are there any kits that can go on the front of the stoves to put the heat in duct work? Are there external blowers I can put in the duct work to help get the heat to the garage? Or is this something I'll have to make to fit the front of the stove. Also, can I use normal house duct work until I get to where I go through the wall into the garage?

I don't have the room to put the stove in the garage. I figured that this will also help heat the floors of the first level of the house. I'll also at some point finish the basement and will be able to use the stove additionally in the basement.

If you guys don't think a pellet stove would be good for this let me know that too.

Any advise for this project would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

I think you would be happer with a pellet stove to heat the house and a different heater for the garage. It's going to take a long time to get the garage warm from air piped in.

You may want to look into a small NG or propane heater that you mount on the wall.

Matt

not to mention backdrafting of CO through the venting from the garage into the basement when the blower is off.
I think this is why garages are considered unconditioned space...

I think you are expecting way to much. Look at a furnace (not stove) for the basement. Heating 2,000 sgft of cement is asking a lot and you will not be happy with the results.

Eric
330-876-0200

People with large houses should think pellet furnace/boiler instead of stoves

If you are trying to heat the garage, you perhaps should use an alternative heater in the garage. Not sure why you want to heat the garage though. That said, I'm no expert, but I happen to think heating the basement with a pellet stove might work out for you, if you decide to finish the basement. Most basements don't get that cold, so even though it's 2000 feet (which is a lot) it might work out for you depending on the layout. And from my limited experience, a warm basement does help the first floor of a house to feel a little warmer. Just a thought.

Thanks guys for the advise! I need to figure out what to do.......Not much money to buy a stove so it might have to hold off for another year.

THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.