Garage pedestrian door insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Has anyone ever installed one of these? My shop is 30x60 total but its divided into a 30x20 section and a 30x40 section. The small section only has an overhead door and I'd like a pedestrian door. There is minimal room to frame a regular door in and if I can avoid loosing 4' of wall that would be great. I just hate lifting the door and letting all the heat out. The other end of the shop has a pedestrian door but I have so much stuff stored during the winter it's a maze to walk through there.

Screenshot_20210116-080127_Chrome.jpg

I wanted to do it on a smaller door.
Talked to my garage door guy, 40+ years in the business and he said “no” on a traditional 6 flat panel door.
I didn’t like the answer knowing they were common years back but lived with it.

I wanted to do it on a smaller door.
Talked to my garage door guy, 40+ years in the business and he said “no” on a traditional 6 flat panel door.
I didn’t like the answer knowing they were common years back but lived with it.
I've seen a few diy examples. Not sure I want to start cutting without some degree of certainty it will work. could be an expensive mistake :)

I've seen a few diy examples. Not sure I want to start cutting without some degree of certainty it will work. could be an expensive mistake :)
Prototype a door that needs to be replaced.
Wear a hard hat. I watched a door panel nearly knock a guy out when it hit him. He had no idea what he was doing. Kinda funny actually.

I've never seen one....im thinking a regular door would be alot better for many reasons....seal, security and cost?

I have run into them in commercial applications, they are miserable as they are usually added on to door not designed for it. They leak like a sieve.

Sounds like I need a different plan. The orange line in the pic is a wall which separates the 2 sides. To the left of the line is a bathroom which extends to within a foot of the door. To the left of the door is an opportunity but I'd hate to loose that wall. That may be my only feasible option. By the time I get the UTV, 4 Wheeler, mower, rv, raft, wood supply, and patio furniture in there, the right section of the shop is pretty packed. It's not visible in the pic but the shop has a 4' stemwall foundation as well.

Attachments

• 20210118_071034.jpg
    20210118_071034.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210118_070608.jpg
    20210118_070608.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 127
That garage door looks more like roll up type that a panel type in the picture. door in a door works fine on sliding doors but not the panel, or roll ups. simple people door area used is apx 3 sq ft for 28" or so wide door. If swing area in side is a problem how about a small sliding type Course still going to have to cut into the stem wall portion.

That garage door looks more like roll up type that a panel type in the picture. door in a door works fine on sliding doors but not the panel, or roll ups. simple people door area used is apx 3 sq ft for 28" or so wide door. If swing area in side is a problem how about a small sliding type Course still going to have to cut into the stem wall portion.
Its a panel type garage door. I do have the room to the left of the door. Just trying to avoid giving up a wall. Sounds like that will be the best plan though.