Garden 90% planted, Pics:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Some seed yet to plant & every 2 weeks or so, new lettuce.
12.JPG

12.JPG

Gardening, golfing and spotting an eagle= good day.

Make sure to post up some after pics when those beds are full of veggies.

Are you doing the "tire thing" with some of the plants? My sister was telling me about using old tires to help warm up the soil to get an earlier start and keep the plants going later in the Fall . . . trying this myself this Spring.

Our outside gardens are doing pretty well by now. But I know in a few weeks Dave that yours will polevault ahead. It always amazes me how well you do in such a short season. You are definitely a master gardener.

Yep, that and Dave's superb compost make for some good growing.

Things are growing pretty good this year for us. Last May I was just putting out plants at this time, it was about 10 degrees colder. This year is more normal. Not hot, but at least most nights are 50 or above.

I just went out and took a picture to share. Which reminds me I need to clean up after yesterday's mowing.

IMG_1177web.jpg IMG_1178web.jpg IMG_1179web.jpg

I remember his pics from last year- always jealous! I neglected my garden for too many years before this season and some of the early season pics this year motivated me.

I'm no master, but if you neglect using compost in your garden you really are giving yourself a handicap.

Not all is golden. We got a bad aphid attack in the greenhouse a couple weeks ago. My indoor cukes look awful and a couple of the pepper plants are not so hot either.

Yuck. I have some little red beetle attacking my asparagus. I didn't get the garden moved etc. in time for early season stuff (lettuce etc) so the only other stuff that went it was garlic planted in the fall (which is rocking). It wasn't worth it until I got my groundhog-proof fencing in. Even killing the groundhogs wouldn't help as we have so many from the local apple orchards.

bogydave- in the big pic, lower left...is that box transparent/transleucent? looks like maybes green onion, or similar. is that purposeful/beneficial in some way, or just plain interesting thing to do?

Yep, that and Dave's superb compost make for some good growing.

Things are growing pretty good this year for us. Last May I was just putting out plants at this time, it was about 10 degrees colder. This year is more normal. Not hot, but at least most nights are 50 or above.

I just went out and took a picture to share. Which reminds me I need to clean up after yesterday's mowing.

WOW. looking good "B". I see some great salads there, Ummmm good!
We've had a cool spring, but June should warm up enough to get things growing so we can catch up to you.

bogydave- in the big pic, lower left...is that box transparent/transleucent? looks like maybes green onion, or similar. is that purposeful/beneficial in some way, or just plain interesting thing to do?

One of my soil beds to help warm the soil. clear instead of wood bed sides allows the suns rays to heat the soil better.
Any thing here to get things warmed up early, this is one experiment that worked well. Soil in it is 6 to 8 degrees warmer when we have sunny days :)

How do you support your tomatoes? If we have a crop of San Marzanos like last year I am going to need a stout support system. I've been making tripods of bamboo, but need something stronger, especially for windy days.

Dave, please explain your garden set up, looks so cool. What are your beds made of? I really like your set up.

How do you support your tomatoes? If we have a crop of San Marzanos like last year I am going to need a stout support system. I've been making tripods of bamboo, but need something stronger, especially for windy days.
I drive in longish green fence posts every 2-3 plants or so and do the "Florida weave". I don't bother with doubling stakes at the end as the green posts are wicked strong. This method has worked crazy well. I leave them in place year to year and just re- string, except this year, as I moved the garden a bit

http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-Tomatoes:-the-Florida-Weave

MY cukes all died, too cold still?? I swear I have a black thumb!

I drive in longish green fence posts every 2-3 plants or so and do the "Florida weave". I don't bother with doubling stakes at the end as the green posts are wicked strong. This method has worked crazy well. I leave them in place year to year and just re- string, except this year, as I moved the garden a bit

http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-Tomatoes:-the-Florida-Weave

Good tip thanks. Do you grow the tomatoes in the same location year after year?

I was out poking around in the garden tonight and noticed i have some thmb sized romas already. I need to stake them up, but will give this florida weave thing a look. Sounds interesting.

Dave, please explain your garden set up, looks so cool. What are your beds made of? I really like your set up.

Most of them are 2X10s & 12s.
I made some with some left over GH plastic 2X2 frame , plastic on the inside as an experiment. These are best I've made & the soil is warmer. I'll make more of them.
All are filled with compost, leaf mold & a little garden soil.
Some are inverted tires. Cut out one side wall & turn them inside out.

100_4740.JPG100_4741.JPG100_4746.JPG

I had a few extra tires so I put them around the zucchini to help them harden off & reduce wind damage until they toughen up.

Wow, Props to both BogeyDave and Begreen! Your gardens look awesome!

Good tip thanks. Do you grow the tomatoes in the same location year after year?
I do, but the same system could be used for peppers, eggplants, peas, beans, etc- so you could rotate without issue

Status
Not open for further replies.