Garden Critter Help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
I have five raised beds, one of which contains beets, carrot and chard. Something decided to snack on the leaves of the beets, leaving the stems. I figured rabbits, as the pattern started from one end and worked its way down the outside rows. I sprayed with the stinky stuff, as I have had luck with that in the past. I may not have sprayed enough, and it has been showering briefly on and off every day.
Last night I noticed the save beets had been hit again, and some of the chard, but not the carrots, which are in the center of the beds. The odd thing is, several (about eight) of my beets have been yanked up and left for dead, as though they had pulled and dropped, they were not dug up. The leaves of those were wilted but intact.
I usually don't have a deer problem, but would deer do something like this? None of the other vegetables have been molested.

Woodchucks will dig stuff up. I had them pull up and eat small sunflowers, roots and all.

I fence with that green garden fence, then on the outside at the bottom I have 2' chicken wire that bends in the middle so that 1' goes up the green garden fence, and 1' extends along the ground. I throw mulch on it, or just stake a bit and let the grass grow through.

Woodchucks go up to the green fence, try to dig under, hit the chicken wire and are foiled. I haven't had anything bigger than a mole in my garden in the several years that I've done this.

They weren't dug up. It was as though they had been popped out of the ground, just the indentation were the beet had been.

I picked up a trick from another site. Grow a plant in a bucket, the taller the bucket the better. Cut off the bottom of the bucket so the roots will continue to grow. My critter problem is almost nil compared to last year. An example is my squash picture in the Garden Thread.

I also have moved my garden to the middle of a field along a tree line. The perfect hunting perch for hawks.

Reactions: osagebow
Vegetable abduction.

Reactions: firebroad
Laid down some cayenne. Let's see what the little rodents do now.:mad:
Vegetable abduction.
OMG, the aliens took my beets!:eek:

Beets and chard are related. I've never had either eaten by animals, though they have feasted on just about every other vegetable in my garden. Interesting they left the carrots alone. Don't have a solution, but will do some thinking, some asking, some research when I get home...see if I come up with any suggestions. Meanwhile the cayenne is a good idea. Some onions planted by them might keep some animals away. Dog hair spread near them might also be helpful.

Do raccoons like beets? Or did one get curious and decide he/she didn't like beets?

Deere probably wouldn't be so selective....

Sue, deer do love to eat those things but you can imagine what those beets would look like if deer got them out. They would have to do lots of scratching with those pointed hooves. Not sure what would pull them out of the ground except humans and beet pullers (used for pulling sugar beets).

I think MasterMech might have the answer. Found three more lying about, but it keeps raining, so all the deterrents aren't doing much good. Thing is, the beets are not being eaten or even nibbled. Just the leaves. Now, some of them seemed to be heaving out of the ground, so they are pretty easy to pull out. I got in there today and weeded, and heaped some soil over the tubers. Did find one chard plant pulled out, no big deal.
Oh well, I guess if that is all they are bothering, I consider myself lucky!:)

Chipmunks. Those little suckers get in between my fencing and steal anything they can get - they are the best fed around thanks to my garden. They like my beet greens but not the beets themselves. They eat my peas, beans and anything else growing close to the ground. I have given up with strawberries as I would be at my kitchen window washing dishes, gaze out and see the little buggers with mouthfuls of strawberries running across the patio! They are too damn cute for me to do anything, they leave plenty for us, just a nuisance.

I had a similar issue, where I just could not figure out what was ruining my garden and why only certain areas were being damaged. I called a pest control company and they gave me some suggestions and even came to my yard to help me. Im not sure which strategy worked the best but whatever they did worked and I haven't had an issue since. The company was called Lawn Doctor, here is there pest control tips help page. If you figure out the problem please share your solution.....Good Luck

Thanks, BenR, and welcome!!
I actually found a spray-on repellent that works, though you have to identify the critter. The name is "I Must Garden", and not only does it not stink like carrion, it is food safe and lasts about a month, even in rain. I can attest to the deer version and the rabbit version.

Reactions: BenR
Thanks, BenR, and welcome!!
I actually found a spray-on repellent that works, though you have to identify the critter. The name is "I Must Garden", and not only does it not stink like carrion, it is food safe and lasts about a month, even in rain. I can attest to the deer version and the rabbit version.

Thank you that sounds perfect for my situation!

Your problem is nothing that a break-barrel pellet rifle won't solve. Did you see tracks in the beds? I would bet racoon as well. Shoot them and be done with it.

.22 shot shells work wonders on the chipmunks as well, though I prefer the "bucket of doom" - drywall bucket filled halfway with water, liberal covereing of sunflower seeds (they float), and a nice ramp with a few seeds sprinkled on it.

After trying all of the nice options (with no success), I have taken the approach that anything in my garden that I did not intentionally put there is a target.

Your problem is nothing that a break-barrel pellet rifle won't solve. Did you see tracks in the beds? I would bet racoon as well. Shoot them and be done with it.

.22 shot shells work wonders on the chipmunks as well, though I prefer the "bucket of doom" - drywall bucket filled halfway with water, liberal covereing of sunflower seeds (they float), and a nice ramp with a few seeds sprinkled on it.

After trying all of the nice options (with no success), I have taken the approach that anything in my garden that I did not intentionally put there is a target.
I have been known to have rabbit in gravy on a Saturday night.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.