1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Garden / firewood cart tires keep going flat

Post in 'The Gear' started by wahoowad, Oct 27, 2013.

1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I know quite a few of us use this garden cart to haul their firewood around. Mine has been a work-horse and taken a lot of abuse but still keeps rolling along.

The tires have finally dry-rotted and go flat quickly when I add air. I've seen replacements at Lowes but 4 new ones would cost around $75 (they come complete with the rim/bearing assembly) which is more than half the cost of buying a whole new cart.

Has anybody replaced their tires/wheels and recommend what you bought? I see some "flatfree" styles at Harbor Freight but always hesitant as to quality when I order from them

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    oops - meant to add mine are 13x5x6 and I think keeping the 5" width important since the cart can sink into my yard unless it is bone dry. The flatfree at Harbor Freight is only 4"

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. ErikR

ErikR Member

Loc:
    northern WI
  4. Gunny

Gunny Member

Loc:
    S.E Michigan
    Erik is correct. I have done the same with a 2 wheel dolly, with similar size tires, and a wheel blower. I think the inner tubes cost me about $8-$10 per tire installed. Check with your local, or maybe not so local, lawn and outdoor power equipment dealer that has a repair shop. My tires are still flat free to this day and they were done about 4-5 years ago. Great way to extend the life of tires. Obviously you will eventually have to replace them. Good luck!
  5. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    I replace tubes in tires like that all the time. Just split the rims, cut the old valve off with a sidecutter and slap a tube in it. You'll get alot more years outta them tires.
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Gotta agree with Butcher. Tube them tires - they have many miles left to give.
  7. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    I bought 4 tubes. Turns out the original tires had tubes in them too. The tubes had small scratches along the sides that made me think a steel belt had scratched them, but this is a bias ply tire so no steel belt to abrade it. I think the cracks in the sidewall of the tire allowed the tube to recess in them a bit,...that or the sidewall cracks simply abraded the tube. I suspect the new tubes will get abraded over time too.

I bought bent stem tubes and needed straight stem :(