Garden Planted for 35 days now. Update 2 weeks later. Post #1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those ties are made out of old bed sheets torn into strips. They last one season and them compost them with the plants when you pull them up.

I think the fence was $45 for 50 feet at TSC....or maybe it was 35...can't remember.

lukem said:
Those ties are made out of old bed sheets torn into strips. They last one season and them compost them with the plants when you pull them up.

I think the fence was $45 for 50 feet at TSC....or maybe it was 35...can't remember.

Cool Idea the gf looking at me funny about here ribbon (says its expensive) and the wire ties seem like they would cut the plant. Awesome got some old towels that should work out nice! :cheese:
So simple its Brilliant! (kinda one of those things why didnt I think of that) :lol:

We milled the stakes out of Black Locust...should last a long time.

lukem said:
We milled the stakes out of Black Locust...should last a long time.

I have a bunch of small strips left from milling the cloths line.......Perfect....

BeGreen said:
I have been using grass clippings as mulch for years in the garden and flower beds. We have a 3 bucket grass catcher on our lawn mower. It works great as long as you don't put nasties on your lawn. We also have a giant bag that I put on there for picking up leaves. They get shredded by the mower then fill the bag. This becomes my winter mulch that gets worked into the soil in spring. The worms love them.

Do you put them on right away green or do you let them break down some???

XactLEE said:
BeGreen said:
I have been using grass clippings as mulch for years in the garden and flower beds. We have a 3 bucket grass catcher on our lawn mower. It works great as long as you don't put nasties on your lawn. We also have a giant bag that I put on there for picking up leaves. They get shredded by the mower then fill the bag. This becomes my winter mulch that gets worked into the soil in spring. The worms love them.

Do you put them on right away green or do you let them break down some???

Be careful piling up too much and waiting...it will start to smell like a cow lot!

Very nice.
I do miss growing everything outdoors, but have adapted to using a GH for toms, peppers & cucs.
Great garden.

Dave just glad the cats started earning there keep or the whole thing would have been eaten by now....I dont even like cats but there growing on me. :cheese:

I've had moose jump the 6' fence. One can eat allot & trample the rest. Hoping I'm not on their "garden shopping route" this year.
If I see them, a BB in the nose helps. But a cow with a calf chased me one time, I had a broom & was trying to scare them off before they got to the garden.
She wasn't scared. Laid her ears back & charged. :bug:
I leaned I can still run pretty fast. They did leave but after they chased me into the Green house. I think she threw out a knee slipping on sh!# :)

bogydave said:
I've had moose jump the 6' fence. One can eat allot & trample the rest. Hoping I'm not on their "garden shopping route" this year.
If I see them, a BB in the nose helps. But a cow with a calf chased me one time, I had a broom & was trying to scare them off before they got to the garden.
I leaned I can still run pretty fast. They did leave but after they chased me into the Green house. I think she threw out a knee slipping on sh!# :)

I would let the moose trample my garden before trampling me. BB guns don't have a lot of knock down power.

Tonight's haul:

Things are just starting to ramp up on the beans, peppers, and okra. More zuccini and yellow squash than I can handle. Eggplants strong producers. Cucs ramping up. Taters starting to wilt down. Onions look good. Butternut squash going crazy. Lettuce and snow peas all but done. 10 gallons of brocolli in freezer. Still getting side shoots though, but not for much longer. Carrots doing well.

Anyone need any zuccini?

Attachments

• 2011-07-13_20-11-32_148.jpg
    2011-07-13_20-11-32_148.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 296
bogydave said:

Oh My! Think my big cat could take her? lol

lukem said:
Tonight's haul:

Things are just starting to ramp up on the beans, peppers, and okra. More zuccini and yellow squash than I can handle. Eggplants strong producers. Cucs ramping up. Taters starting to wilt down. Onions look good. Butternut squash going crazy. Lettuce and snow peas all but done. 10 gallons of brocolli in freezer. Still getting side shoots though, but not for much longer. Carrots doing well.

Anyone need any zuccini?

Fricken Hate You! J/K I cant wait............... :lol:

You Hoosiers are a few weeks ahead of us. We've got zucs, beans , peas, lettuce, beets, lettuce and a lot of green tomatoes but are still a week or two away from any color.

SolarAndWood said:
You Hoosiers are a few weeks ahead of us. We've got zucs, beans , peas, lettuce, beets, lettuce and a lot of green tomatoes but are still a week or two away from any color.

I am with you solar only a little over a month with the garden in. We are cranking with the heat but have to water. Fert will go on this weekend and every week for 4 weeks.

I've been feeding my stuff with "special sauce". Take a 35 gallon trash can, put a spigot on the bottom, fill it with water. Then take an old pillow case and fill it with chicken manure and tie it off. Put the sack in the water and let it simmer for two days. Feed the plants a couple times a week. Works wonders.

lukem said:
I've been feeding my stuff with "special sauce". Take a 35 gallon trash can, put a spigot on the bottom, fill it with water. Then take an old pillow case and fill it with chicken manure and tie it off. Put the sack in the water and let it simmer for two days. Feed the plants a couple times a week. Works wonders.

See now I really Hate You...I have two monster tulip tree to take down and thats what I am milling for the new coop.......Got to crawl first as my Dad would say...I really hope your older than I am?

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

See now I really Hate You...I have two monster tulip tree to take down and thats what I am milling for the new coop.......Got to crawl first as my Dad would say...I really hope your older than I am?

The chickens aren't mine, but I'm getting some meat chickens next year. My FIL has layers so I get all the eggs and manure I want.

Put your coop so they can have full run of the garden in the off season...then just a small run next to the garden for the growing season. They eat anything organic and turn it into fertilizer.

For the record, you are older!

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

The chickens aren't mine, but I'm getting some meat chickens next year. My FIL has layers so I get all the eggs and manure I want.

Put your coop so they can have full run of the garden in the off season...then just a small run next to the garden for the growing season. They eat anything organic and turn it into fertilizer.

For the record, you are older!

Oh, but bet I have a bigger saw? :cheese: lol j/k Will be picking your brain that's another Awesome Brilliant idea with the chix crap! :cheese:

Starting to get some more variety. Squash and zucchini finally starting to slow down. Here's a sample from last night:

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 239
lukem said:
Starting to get some more variety. Squash and zucchini finally starting to slow down. Here's a sample from last night:

What a deference a week makes.....Mine has explode and a 100lbs of chix crap will be till in tonight. Got some peppers and the tomato are almost ready.

Beets with horseradish sauce were on the menu tonight after picking 11 gallons of beans. Sounds like your tomatoes caught up to ours that were planted 2 weeks earlier, guess Indiana has at least one thing on Syracuse.

Attachments

• 071811 beets.jpg
    071811 beets.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 279
11 gallons in one night. That's a good haul. I don't think I've picked 11 gallons of anything in a week.

Cherry tomatoes just getting started. Others should be ripening in a couple weeks.

Tonight's haul:

Attachments

• 2011-07-18_19-06-47_367.jpg
    2011-07-18_19-06-47_367.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 278
We're in a chill zone this summer. Zukes and cukes are producing a few every few days, but everything else has its heels dragging.

Solar, I want to hear more about the beets with horseradish sauce. That's a new one for me and we just harvested some nice beets.

BeGreen said:
Solar, I want to hear more about the beets with horseradish sauce. That's a new one for me and we just harvested some nice beets.

Pretty quick and simple, healthy amount of horseradish in plain Greek yogurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.