Garden Planted for 35 days now. Update 2 weeks later. Post #1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be eating fried green tomatoes any day....Freezing Rhubarb today! ;-) Couple pies there! Got a litle over 5 qts.

Attachments

• garden3.jpg
    garden3.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 242
If I don't get some rain and temps below 90 my stuff is going to stop producing. Having to water every couple days now, but it needs a good soak.

lukem said:
If I don't get some rain and temps below 90 my stuff is going to stop producing. Having to water every couple days now, but it needs a good soak.

Yep, watered Tuesday heavy...The pepper's and tomato's where curly already late Wednesday. Going to till in a 25lbs of the chix crap and water heavy again tonight. Probably growing 2-4 inch's a day right now. Next Tuesday Photo should be very dramatic!

Pulling green beans today, dinner and freezing! This is a 1/4 of one row,(have 3 rows) will wait til 7pm to finnish just to hot!

Attachments

• beans 1.jpg
    beans 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 198
  • garden1.jpg
    garden1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 206
1-1/2 of rain from friday and more hitting in the next hour. You can dont even walk on it right now, without getting stuck. Should make a big week.

Ya'll have pole vaulted ahead of us. Our temps have been too cool for rapid growth. Would you believe we are just starting to get snap peas! But we have been getting a steady stream of zuchs and cukes for a while now and have lots of green tomatoes. Guess this was a silly year to plant melons. Oh well. I just started seeds for fall crops. Should get another batch of beets going too. One good note, we are harvesting cherries, and lots of them. These are Montmorency cherries. They make fantastic pies, jam and liqueur.

BeGreen said:
Ya'll have pole vaulted ahead of us. Our temps have been too cool for rapid growth. Would you believe we are just starting to get snap peas! But we have been getting a steady stream of zuchs and cukes for a while now and have lots of green tomatoes. Guess this was a silly year to plant melons. Oh well. I just started seeds for fall crops. Should get another batch of beets going too. One good note, we are harvesting cherries, and lots of them. These are Montmorency cherries. They make fantastic pies, jam and liqueur.

I will take another pic Tuesday, this was another big week. Got about 3 inch of rain in the last 36 hours here. Got it weeded and roto till before this last rain...Tomato's are to wet now, but got them aerated to 6 inchs.

My cucumbers died and my pickles are almost dead. I did manage to pick and can 11 qt beans yesterday, pulled over 50 bulbs of garlic from the garden. Will have sweet corn here soon if the damn coons leave it alone, they have torn the patch up. Our garden isn't like past years but it's not too bad. I'll be planting more broccoli and cauliflower plants soon for a late crop.

What kind of broccoli is everyone planting. We are trying out some new (to us) varieties, but have not been as happy as previous years with Green Comet. Is anyone growing Early Dividend?

laynes69 said:
My cucumbers died and my pickles are almost dead. I did manage to pick and can 11 qt beans yesterday, pulled over 50 bulbs of garlic from the garden. Will have sweet corn here soon if the damn coons leave it alone, they have torn the patch up. Our garden isn't like past years but it's not too bad. I'll be planting more broccoli and cauliflower plants soon for a late crop.

We started broccoli yesterday. The cats are keeping the rabbits and coons out...First time ever that my garden wasnt eaten up by now.

Im growing Green Goliath now. Not sure what kind the last ones were. Seems to do okay. I've managed to get enough pickles for 2 batches of crock dills. Blows away claussens any day of the week.

Thanks I have seen Green Goliath for sale. I'll bet your pickles are great. We pickle spiced green beans every year. They are super tasty.

laynes69 said:
Im growing Green Goliath now. Not sure what kind the last ones were. Seems to do okay. I've managed to get enough pickles for 2 batches of crock dills. Blows away claussens any day of the week.

Yep, 4 mounds will post updates in acouple day. The first pic they where no more than an inch tall.

I took advantage of the 20 degree temperature drop (only in the upper 70's) this evening to get the garden back under control. I pulled up the brocolli and snow peas, harvested all the onions and the rest of the carrots, tilled everything I could. Planted two rows of beans and got the plot ready for my fall planting in a couple weeks.

I also mounted some sprinklers to the top of each corner post for watering cause rain ain't happening here lately..or in the foreseeable future. Now I can sit inside and watch instead of stand in the garden and sweat for an hour.

Picked some okra tonight. Can't wait to get some of that on the grill.

Tomatoes days away. TONS of cherry tomatoes ripe now. Most of my tomato plants are now 6' tall.

lukem said:
I took advantage of the 20 degree temperature drop (only in the upper 70's) this evening to get the garden back under control. I pulled up the brocolli and snow peas, harvested all the onions and the rest of the carrots, tilled everything I could. Planted two rows of beans and got the plot ready for my fall planting in a couple weeks.

I also mounted some sprinklers to the top of each corner post for watering cause rain ain't happening here lately..or in the foreseeable future. Now I can sit inside and watch instead of stand in the garden and sweat for an hour.

Tomatoes days away. TONS of cherry tomatoes ripe now. Most of my tomato plants are now 6' tall.

We just started broccoli..What else you planting for the fall crop?

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Same thing we do in the spring. Sometimes we have good luck sometimes we don't. A couple bucks in seeds is worth the gamble though.

Lettuce
Spinach
Snow peas
Radishes
Brocolli
Kohlrabbi (spelling?)

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Same thing we do in the spring. Sometimes we have good luck sometimes we don't. A couple bucks in seeds is worth the gamble though.

Lettuce
Spinach

Snow peas
Radishes
Brocolli
Kohlrabbi (spelling?)

Just tilled up another 500 sq no problen tilling more. Gives me some more idea thanks! :cheese:

Tonight's haul.

Attachments

• 2011-07-24_22-04-41_509.jpg
    2011-07-24_22-04-41_509.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 242
lukem said:
Tonight's haul.

Very Nice, had the parents over today for fresh green beans green tomato casserole corn bread. Pick-up almost 3 inchs of rain this weekend. Should be an awesome week! 90 degrees everyday.

New pic back side....Wow, now dealing with too much water! ;-) Organic fungicide applied today.

Attachments

• garden4.jpg
    garden4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 211
Lookin good.

I picked a gallon of cherry tomatoes last night, and will probably pick another gallon tonight. My romas are just starting to ripen. The other variety (large one that the name escapes me right now) are still a ways off, but are as big as a fist.

Please send rain.

lukem said:
Lookin good.

I picked a gallon of cherry tomatoes last night, and will probably pick another gallon tonight. My romas are just starting to ripen. The other variety (large one that the name escapes me right now) are still a ways off, but are as big as a fist.

Please send rain.

Should be a big weekend freezing and canning. Cant believe those storms missed you(Still hand standing water last night in the garden) ...This is the first day I could even walk in it. Cucumber's says a white looking leaves so I used a veggie and baking soda mixture and sprayed them. Should not need any water till Sunday at the earliest.

I'm making refrigerator pickles tonight. Froze 15 green peppers, 12 jalapenos, and some okra last night.

lukem said:
I'm making refrigerator pickles tonight. Froze 15 green peppers, 12 jalapenos, and some okra last night.

Refrigerator pickle? Is that just a cucumber's drop in a pickle jar? Or the vinegar water and onions?

Status
Not open for further replies.