Garden reports where you at and whats next?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote="Next year will be the "Year of the Green Bean".:cool:
Does anyone know how big sweet potato plants should be to able to dig up the taters? We have 8-9 plants, but they haven't gotten very big. I'll wait a while longer, but I'm curious.
I dug the red potatoes too soon a couple years ago.[/quote]

This year is MY "Year of the Green Bean"!! Best year I have had in 5.
I was helping my buddy in Central Pa (Tyrone) dig red potatoes in early November. I believe his were ready in late September, early October; Sweet Potatoes are probably going to be a little later, as they like long, Southern climates. Don't know if they will stand frost, though. I would wait until the last possible moment.

This is my first year planting sweet taters. I have no idea when to dig them either. I think I have 20 plants, give or take.

tried my hand at braiding whats left of our garlic harvest...quickly figured out that zip ties are more my style.

Attachments

• 081813 garlic harvest.jpg
    081813 garlic harvest.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 264
c9190cec-64b3-4e8e-b28a-fb6a4e91f548_zps5fa39859.jpg

c38eac93-aea1-4b07-8dae-62a5734adf6f_zps7702cde2.jpg

The Hillbillies are finally turning

be032b6d-de32-422e-83cf-a809b5ad86eb_zpsa6e2d7d7.jpg

Our garden is in the red.

IMG_1650web.jpg IMG_1653web.jpg

Who says you can't grow hot peppers in the NW? These are very hot jalepenos.
IMG_1651web.jpg

I covered up the kale, carrots, radishes, and strawberries with cheap plastic. The first frost hit last night. I stripped the last of the fruit from 7 pepper plants. I am bringing in small container tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants that are currently protected on a porch.

A few frosty nights in a row here & we're about done too. Picked all the green tomatoes that were big enough to bother with. I guess I didn't prune my heirloom plants anywhere near enough because they mad a LOT of fruit that never made it to full ripe...
There's still a bunch of SunGold Cherry tomatoes out there to munch on while doing yard work.
Kale is happy as ever, but I will have to cover it soon enough (unless we have a non-winter like last year). Harvested a bunch of Chard today, but it may be the last. Not sure how much cold it will take.
A successfuland fun year in the garden. Next year = BIGGER!

Last edited:
Stripped the garden and cleaned it up last week before going out of town on vacation. Dug up the rosemary and brought it into the cellar. Gave the green 'maters to a niece to ripen in in her basement.

I just got back home today, the neighbor said they got some wet sleet for a while yesterday in town, they are calling for a freeze tonight.

Garden on a whole was productive, but tomatoes were not as nice as other years, and deer ate up the beets. Tons of greenbeans, pickles, etc in jars in the basement.:)

We've had a few frosts here... I will pick off the last of the green beans, peppers, and slim purple eggplant... and it's all going to get tilled very soon...

This is a good time to plant garlic, it's a bulb. The old tradition is to plant garlic on the shortest day of the year and harvest it on the longest. It helps keep bad spirits away or something like that. Must work, I haven't seen a vampire yet!

I've never seen a vampire either... you must be right.

folks above the Mason-Dixon might want to plant their garlic before the winter solstice!

A little late to the party but...

I had a bumper crop of cucumbers this year. Canned about 60 pints of pickles; dill, B&B and 1 batch of sweet. Tomatoes did fairly well. Made and canned several batches of tomato soup. Yellow wax beans produced well enough to give me about 40 pints.

On the flip side, all the root veggies were a bust. We had copious amounts of rain in the spring and early summer and most of that stuff rotted in the ground. :( I should have started them over for a late fall harvest but just never got around to it.

My lettuce has sprouted :)

Peas are about 2" tall. Baby greens, arugula, kale, chard, spinach & beets are all up but seem to be slow getting started. Nothing else planted yet (that I can remember ;em).
I may have jumped the gun a bit, or I may have added too many shredded leaves in the fall & they're stealing nitrogen. Added some rotted manure, so that should help the N a bit.
Oh, and we ate some chives tonight :)

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Peas are about 2" tall. Baby greens, arugula, kale, chard, spinach & beets are all up but seem to be slow getting started. Nothing else planted yet (that I can remember ;em).
I may have jumped the gun a bit, or I may have added too many shredded leaves in the fall & they're stealing nitrogen. Added some rotted manure, so that should help the N a bit.
Oh, and we ate some chives tonight :)

Love chard - lazy man's spinach. Not popping yet, put it in late. My arugala is up, colonizes half the garden. Beans sproting, snow peas up with no flowers yet. Carrots and lettuce popping, garlic going gangbusters. Apples set low numbers it looks like, less thinning this year.

I put the corn in and some tomatoes yesterday. Zukes have been in for a week. Lettuce is coming in by the bucketloads. I had a nice row of carrots started but some critter ate them overnight. :mad: I planted again today and put a row cover over them. Peas are about 18" high, should be flowering soon.

Planted sugar snap peas, spinach, chard and radishes last night. It's a month later than usual, but the ground was still frozen a month ago.

The fruit trees and grapes all look good and are about to bud. My blueberries were decimated by the rabbits... the snow was so deep they stripped the bud branches up nearly 4 ft.

Beets and carrots in. Red lettuce, started inside, now outside--having a few salads. Tomatoes, peppers--will go in this weekend, barring rain, as well as beans and squash seeds.
Should have put chard in, but haven't any seed yet.
Butterfly bushes and hydrangeas are toast, thanks to prolonged ice and snow. Some sprouting from the bottom, so no blooms for hydrangea this year.:( Not sure what I will get with cherry, peach and apple trees--thin blooms, and might have had petalfall before pollinators got busy.:confused:.

Everything is in here, but many seeds haven't germinated yet. The bunnies pretty much murdered a couple blueberry bushes. Maybe the few buds that are left will be enough to keep the plant alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.