Garden reports where you at and whats next?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the mistakes of planting mint and rhubarb in my garden. Its been years and I still haven't gotten rid of the stuff.

Oh man, tell me about it.
My wife LOVES chocolate mint.
It's now EVERYWHERE. Smells nice when I cut it, but that just makes it spread even farther. If you don't get every last strand of root (and you won't), well, let's just say I hope you like the stuff....a lot.
I made the mistake of dumping some horse manure on top of a bit in the garden, thinking it would smother it.
Yeah, right. It's the fastest growing batch out there. Straight up through the crap.

Picking a quart of strawberries a day now. Romas and Cherries are now "tomatoing".
How many plants do you have to get that amount? Thinking of starting some next year as we're soon losing a lot of shade in the back yard.

How many plants do you have to get that amount? Thinking of starting some next year as we're soon losing a lot of shade in the back yard.
We have a very disorganized patch that's approx 6x12. Started with 25 and they multiply 10 fold after a season or two.

Reactions: midwestcoast
Still trying to eradicate strawberries. Had a bumpah crop, then they multiplied like the Duggars.

You need to replant every few years, so save the runners and kill the main plants. I may do that this year

I plan on doing that this year...if not they'll choke themselves out.

I have added cucumbers, yellow squash, and zucchini to the little plot. It has only been a week and I have been raided by a rodent that seems to love sweet peppers and Black Krim tomatoes. It leaves everything else alone!

i guess the 1 big upside to the potted garden is that nothing can wander. only a handful of strawberry plants..I see a runner, I cut it. We have some stray cat (I assume) coming and eating both our catmint, and catnip in the night. The catnip has no chance to do anything...the catmint is a fairly largish plant so its not being descimated. I can only imagine my 3 cats watcing out the bay window as some stray is eating their catnip....the nerve.

Reactions: PapaDave
'Bout a gallon tonight. IMG_20130605_213311_212.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130605_213311_212.jpg
    IMG_20130605_213311_212.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 141
I have pea plants!! Lol. It is amazing how the little discoveries are so exciting.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Getting a fair crop of strawberries this year.
16 half pints of jam
picked a grocery bag of rhubarb so we'll see how much strawberry rhubarb that'll put up tomorrow maybe.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Getting a fair crop of strawberries this year.
16 half pints of jam
picked a grocery bag of rhubarb so we'll see how much strawberry rhubarb that'll put up tomorrow maybe.

We have three bags of rhubarb in the freezer awaiting strawberries, still a couple of weeks away up here.

I'm about 3 months behind everyone else.

8961ee8c-f5c7-452e-a658-7d780b293ac9_zps50ae1dcb.jpg

I just got the last batch of roma tomatoes in today.
Behind schedule due to weather and vacation.

Nature often evens the score. We had a cold wet start last year until July. Then sun and no rain for almost 60 days. The crops caught up and delivered. It was a bit stressful on them, but the healthiest pulled through.

]IMG_0146.JPG

that's about how many I can pick before my back says time to do something else but we've got about 30 jars of jam, some half rhubarb and about 20 cups of berries froze
[
IMG_0143.JPG

snow peas

IMG_0137.JPG
green beans soon

IMG_0141.JPG
trying some grafted tomatoes this year and this batch of cukes haven't drowned and look pretty green

The wife and I belong to a local community garden because there is about 15sqft of sun in our yard for about 30 minutes a day. It's within walking distance from the house and its located on a big farm owned by a really nice gentlemen. It's fenced in, tools provided, water hoses every few plots (which are 15' x 15') and everyone there is very nice and welcoming. It's a pleasure to walk around and see what everyone is growing.

We got a late start last year (our first year there) and just as our plants were taking off, a freak storm rolled through with 1/2" hail and destroyed everyones crops. It looked like a drunk went in there with a weedwacker and ran around all willy-nilly. It was a sad day, but most of the plants came back and we harvested some tomatoes and a few bags of Tomatillos.

This year in the plot we have 3 different pepper plants which are not liking the cool wet weather we are having. The tomatoes, Mr. Stripey, Lemon Boy, Roma, and some deep purple type seem to be doing well and taking root. We planted so many different herbs that I dont remember them all, but there is Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Basil, etc. Oh, there are 3 red cabbages too. The asparagus we planted last year is back and ready to spread this year so we can harvest some next year. Last, but not least, my (3) Tomatillo plants. I make a great salsa verde for homemade enchilladas and the tomatillos are difficult to find in our area so why not grown my own!

We only planted it 3 weeks ago, which I think is a little late, there is plenty of time left in the growing season, we just need some more sun!

agreed, peppers not liking the rain so much...started dropping some leaves so I put them under cover. the thing that irks me is that peppers dont tend to recover very well after any type of hardship. my Spicy Thais still have a chance as they have been living indoors. I will try giving the pappers a good talking to...tell them they need to toughen up a bit and stop being pansies (see that...is a plant joke).

Picked 3 gallons of pie cherries from our tree last night. Probably another 3 tonight.

Snow peas are taking off. Turnips and carrots about ready to start picking too.

lukem, I'd like to say you're inspiring me but now you're just ticking me off. ;)
Strawberries and cherries; its hard to imagine anything more fun to grow and eat.
We've cherry trees and strawberry plants but not many berries yet.

Deer invaded the night before last and did an number on beans, potatoes, and tomatoes. Got to get serious about fencing this weekend.
Probably need to starting peeing around the garden again too.

Status
Not open for further replies.