Garn 1500 Damper Failure and Boiler Placement Suggestion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eauzonedan

Jan 21, 2011
Bayfield Co. Wi
I've been running the 1500 (Hor discharge, with a damper, tee, and 15' vertical flue) since Sept without incident. I had a situation today that I wanted to share. I have a dedicated boiler building with two separately insulated rooms connected by an inside door - one 10x20 for the boiler and one 10x20 for wood storage. I just topped up the wood storage area and I raised the humidity level in the entire building due to some snow and frost on the wood. When it drops below zero I tend to get a layer of frost on the Garn intake pipe, but not as much as last night due to the increased moisture in the building. I only have to do a single fire down to about zero, but last night it was about -15 so I ended up with an extra burn this morning. When firing the beast tonight the fan wouldn't kick and I had a damper failure error on the screen. The damper is located near the outside wall and was frozen up tight. With just a single burn I may have had time to melt things back there, but I've got a double layer or Roxol on everything so the building only stays about 55 when it's below zero and not much more.............. The good news is that I left 3 feet behind the boiler to allow access back there. The second good news is that Heaterman gave me the suggestion to drop a couple electric baseboards in the boiler room in case I went away and wanted some freeze protection out there. Here is the heads up..... If you're planning a layout and use a damper if going with a vertical discharge...........leave room back there to get at stuff ........that, plus the baseboard heater back there made an ugly thing a piece of cake. Thanks Steve!!
Dan

I second your advise on room behind the unit for service. I left 24" behind my WHS200 and wish I had left double that.

Reactions: Karl_northwind
Thanks for the Heads up Dan,
I've only installed the one with the damper, and hadn't thought about that. glad to know and plan for next time.
I am impressed that you're able to go one burn per day with both buildings.
Karl

Follow up
I just discovered the newest Garn manuals on line and dated Jan 2015 address this problem. A rigid foam box is now recommended around the damper. I must not be the first guy to freeze one up. If you have not viewed the manual in a while as its a pretty general update and nicely done

Status
Not open for further replies.