Garn 1500, why so inefficient?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sardo_67

Sep 19, 2017
mid CT
looking on their site and tried calling them 3 times with no luck so i'll ask here.

Compared to their others boiler modes the 1500 is advertised at 73% when all the others are 82-87%

Does anyone know why that is?

i don’t have the exact answer, however I suspect possibly because it’s shorter in length than the 2000, or 3200, that it might have less lineal ft of heat exchange tube. This could allow the flue temp to be slightly higher causing lower efficiency. The jr, smaller yet has a little different internals to keep the efficiency up.
Garn makes a fluegas flow diffuser (optional) that will reduce the flue temp, increasing efficiency.
Keep in mind that when you keep the storage integral to the boiler, you don’t have the piping losses between boiler to storage.
Are you thinking of a garn?

oh not at all for me, i just saw the one posted on here from VT and was telling Hudson about it. the guy who picked up those circs for me a few months back.

him and his brother are buying 6 acres in Morris with a large barn and a questionable rehab/tear down house on it. his plans are a large 40x80 or 50x100 maybe shop on it. i was telling him if he can grab that used one it would be a really good deal for him although its way too early for him to get one.

then when i was looking up info to pass onto him i saw the ratings, the small 1,000 has the best rating of 87%.