Garn Arrived!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
Last week I finally got my notice that the Garn 2000 was ready to pick-up. The plan was to pick up the unit in Mpls. at 11:30am onday and be home with one short stop at Deerfanatic’s and be home before dark. By noon I was at the stop light heading onto the on ramp I94 when a driver pulled up next to me and pointed to the trailer. Fortunately for me he stopped as smoke was visible in the mirror. I pulled out of the lane and onto a side street thinking a brake had locked but it was a tire rubbing. I limped back the two blocks to the Garn manufacturing site and they unloaded the trailer. After lifting with a forklift it was determined that the frame was rusted and was broken allowing the tires to tip into the frame. After an hour and some forklift help along with a loan of a straight hitch I was able to get the tires off the axle and raise the tongue high enough to clear the shackle bolts on the front axle allowing me to hopefully pull the trailer six hours back home. I borrowed the trailer from a neighbor because I was told the fabricator couldn’t load a trailer with a beavertail with the forklift. The guys doing the loading said they do it all the time! Sooooo…. I headed back to get my trailer and return the following morning.

Well to bed by 11pm and up at alarm at 3:30 and heading six hours back to Mpls. The trip was uneventful fortunately but I was able to be back on the homestead before the sun went down. I was glad I had voted absentee or I would have had to wait till Wednesday. :)

I do have to say the Garn appears exceptionally well made and the fellows at CheckPoint Welding, the fabricator for Dectra, are the nicest bunch of guys you can meet. They were exceptionally helpful and understanding all through the delivery. The crew that welds the Garn were very proud of the product they were building.

I am working on finishing up outside chores till the snow gets heavy, then in a week or two I can focus on getting the Garn installed. I will post photos as I progress.

Attachments

• Garn.JPG
    Garn.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 604
Congrats!!! Glad you got it. Hope the rest of the project goes smoothly. Keep us posted.

They are not light....
My friend and I were not sure about the weight on the trailer we borrowed...

Great news! Glad it ultimately got home smoothly. I only had to travel about 3 hours to pick up mine from the dealer, but the pouring rain made the trip longer.

Keep the pictures coming.

good luck on the install.
I too picked up my Garn from check point welding.
Martin (the owner of Garn) meet me there.
and yes, you are correct on the quality of the construction of the Garn.
they don't take the "cheep road" with materials.
I am a welding engineer, so I tend to notice good work as well as defects.
it shows that the welders at check point welding take pride in there work.
I thoroughly looked over my Garn prior to them loading it up and did not see any weld defects such as cold lapping or porosity.
most all of the competitors of the Garn use solid wire to weld the joints.
Garn uses flux core which is about three times the cost, but produces a much higher quality weld.
better penetration and higher mechanical properties makes for less of a chance for problems years down the road.

The guys at CheckPoint said a year ago they were building 6 units a month, now they are building six units a week. Good to see production increase without sacraficing the quality!

Sawyer said:
The guys at CheckPoint said a year ago they were building 6 units a month, now they are building six units a week. Good to see production increase without sacraficing the quality!

My unit is #2635, and was shipped on 10 September. Your unit is #2672. So, presuming a serialized production, they built 37 units in a little under 60 days. That confirms their claim of ~6 units/week. Glad to see it happening.

Wayne64SS said:
That thing is HUGE! That isn't for just a regular house is it? It's the size of my basement...

It will heat 4400sq/ft of house and 1200sq/ft workshop.It holds 2000 gal of water which will allow a good amount of btu's to get me through a full night at -30 degrees without having to reload. At 450 Mbtu output it will recover those btu's in quick order even with a load being drawn to supply heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.