garn burn ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemer

Feb 26, 2008
Northeast Pa
Assuming no house load will a 1500 garn go from say 120 degrees to 180 -200 with one batch of good wood or do you have to put multiple loads?

I've got a Garn WHS2000, so I've got about 30% more storage to heat...

I need a solid two loads, at least, to go from 120 to 180. I keep meaning to weigh the wood I load, but always forget. The Garn manual says to load between 50 and 90 Lbs of wood. I suspect I'm in that range, but have no clear idea where exactly. If I remember to weigh it tomorrow, I'll report some more specific numbers; weight of wood used, starting temp, ending temp and overall time of burn. I'll also turn off the heat in the house during that time, so I can get a more accurate answer to your question.

Harold - 30 degrees with no load is easy with one burn. I can get as much as 40 degrees sometimes (depending on the wood). You would need two loads to get a 60 degree temp rise.

The thing to remember is that a couple loads is usually only a 4 hour burn. Several of my local customers say they fire it up with a good sized load of wood and 4 hours on the timer. Then return after around 2 hours to top it off again and let the timer finish its cycle.

Can your heating system provide adequate output with 120* water?

Heaterman,
I have a hot air system(heatpump w/oil hot water backup)I can't say for sure what the minimum temp would be. with my eko the oil would kick in at no fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.