1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Garn control units

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by S.Whiplash, Feb 12, 2013.

1. S.Whiplash

S.Whiplash Member

With the new control units on the Garn boilers just wondering if it's possible to retain a coal bed day to day or is it necessary to build a fire from scratch every time.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Typically (depending on the wood being burned) there will be plenty of coals to rekindle. Remember that the controller shuts down based on a 10 degree differential between water temp and flue gas. Being that the flue gas is measured at the end of the 4th heat exchanger pass, that means there is still a fair amount of heat being generated in the firebox. Have not heard any complaints. I have a couple customers who do not put enough time on their old style controllers and leave half a load of wood unburned in their Garns. I wish I could talk them into the new controller.
  3. curtis

curtis Member

Loc:
    northern michigan
    If you buy a garn does it come with the controller?
  4. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    The controller is part of the Garn. It's not like an accessory you have to buy separately. They changed from a mechanical "timer" control for the combustion fan to an electronic control a couple years ago.