GARN - dissimilar metals - air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecky

Aug 9, 2008
Central Ontario, Canada
With the GARN you get a galvanized reducer and hood for the combustion air intake. Could one use black stove pipe in-between to extend the intake to outside the building or would there be a problem with dissimilar metals? Or should I limit my extension to galvanized pipe? I am assuming dissimilar metals is only a problem when water is involved.

Comments?

Ecky said:
With the GARN you get a galvanized reducer and hood for the combustion air intake. Could one use black stove pipe in-between to extend the intake to outside the building or would there be a problem with dissimilar metals? Or should I limit my extension to galvanized pipe? I am assuming dissimilar metals is only a problem when water is involved.

Comments?

Galvanized steel and painted steel are not "dissimilar" metals. You can interchange them without worry about galvanic corrosion. However, the black pipe is typically heavier gauge than necessary for the intake pipe, and is also more expensive.

Thanks Jim. Why does GARN specify NOT to connect galvanized pipe directly to the GARN but rather to use black steel for at least 6'? As to the black stove pipe - it will actually work out cheaper for me since I can get the exact length I need with black stove pipe but would have to buy extra galvanized or aluminum intake duct pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.