GARN electric backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
I ordered my GARN with the "electric prep" option. What that gives me is a 3x3 grid of 1" pipe fittings in the lower right corner of the front wall. The purpose of the option is to utilize off-peak electric rates as a supplement to a wood burn, typically overnight. My utility does not offer off-peak rates to residential consumers at the moment, but may in the future.

I would like to utilize a couple of the bungs to incorporate one or two 4500W electric heating elements as an emergency protection during cold weather when I am not there to fire the unit. Has anyone else done this? I have never owned an electric WH, so am not familiar with their controls. Do the thermostats for the elements screw into a bung on the water tank?

Thanks for any input.

The kind I have seen had the thermostats simply held against the steel tank wall by metal clips. Kind of a heat sink arrangement, I guess you'd call it.

ricks said:
The kind I have seen had the thermostats simply held against the steel tank wall by metal clips. Kind of a heat sink arrangement, I guess you'd call it.

Thanks Rick. I confirmed with my friend who is a professional plumber that the thermostats for the electric water heaters use a contact thermistor, and not a temperature well. I'll pick up a couple of 5.5KW elements and a thermostat from Lowes and utilize a couple of the bungs for them.

Did you get the electric kit with yours, or just the prep?

Status
Not open for further replies.