GARN Exhaust "Leak" Around the Chimney Mounting Ring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
Greetings All Garn Users:

I just got my 1500 up and running. I have 7' of DuraTech 6" insulated chimney pipe on the horizontal. I initially twisted on the pipe sections and fired the unit for about a week. I notice some clear signs of "exhaust" exiting from the Garn in the "slot" between the welded on "ring" that accepts the chimney pipe and the back surface of the Garn unit. Of course I never did take a picture of this, but it is a clear "smoke mark" as gases were exiting here. This is NOT exiting from the chimney to ring connection. Rather, it is exiting between the ring and the Garn back surface itself.

Today I cleaned it up and placed the high temp silicone sealer around the chimney to Garn "interface", as well as around the Garn ring to Garn back surface. Presumably this will solve the problem. I know the blower creates a pressurized exhaust, and I know the manual clearly states to seal the chimney to adapter ring connection (and pipe to pipe connection as well).

Has anyone seen this smoke exiting from around the Garn back surface to Garn ring before?

I'll of course have my clearance from this ring and chimney to combustibles. However, it still concerns me that I say this exhaust "escaping" at this point. Presumably the high temp silicone will solve the problem. I also wrapped the joint in aluminum tape (and screwed the chimney to the Garn).

Any shared experience, either yeah or nay, would be most appreciated! Thanks! Bruce

Hi Bruce - I just started my 2nd season and have never had any flue gasses escape where you're saying. I do have water pour a steady steam from that spot whenever I fire it up cold, which is ok because it stops after the water reaches a higher temp.
So if the condensate can freely run out, there must be a breech there, but flue gasses seem to blow right through and NEVER leak into the building. The only thought I've got is that possibly your flue pipe is partially blocked in some way???? Or maybe too many elbows???? Dunno. That's all I've got.........

Rick

Pipe is straight out....7'.....with a little slope downwards to keep the water running out (from rain and snow). Yep, once the first burn is over, I don't see any creosote or condensation, but there was a flue gas leak there. No elbows....and nothing I can see in the "flue pipe" up to the first elbow looking in....

I will write to Garn and see if I get a response!

bpirger said:
Pipe is straight out....7'.....with a little slope downwards to keep the water running out (from rain and snow). Yep, once the first burn is over, I don't see any creosote or condensation, but there was a flue gas leak there. No elbows....and nothing I can see in the "flue pipe" up to the first elbow looking in....

I will write to Garn and see if I get a response!

I dumped about 1.5 gallons of creosote and water out of the barrel this morning. Like you it stopped after the first full burn. I also smelled smoke in the boiler room and re-caulked the chimney/Garn connection as I could see where creosote had run down the back onto the floor and figured if liquid could escape so could smoke..

bpirger said:
Greetings All Garn Users:

I just got my 1500 up and running. I have 7' of DuraTech 6" insulated chimney pipe on the horizontal. I initially twisted on the pipe sections and fired the unit for about a week. I notice some clear signs of "exhaust" exiting from the Garn in the "slot" between the welded on "ring" that accepts the chimney pipe and the back surface of the Garn unit. Of course I never did take a picture of this, but it is a clear "smoke mark" as gases were exiting here. This is NOT exiting from the chimney to ring connection. Rather, it is exiting between the ring and the Garn back surface itself.

Today I cleaned it up and placed the high temp silicone sealer around the chimney to Garn "interface", as well as around the Garn ring to Garn back surface. Presumably this will solve the problem. I know the blower creates a pressurized exhaust, and I know the manual clearly states to seal the chimney to adapter ring connection (and pipe to pipe connection as well).

Has anyone seen this smoke exiting from around the Garn back surface to Garn ring before?

I'll of course have my clearance from this ring and chimney to combustibles. However, it still concerns me that I say this exhaust "escaping" at this point. Presumably the high temp silicone will solve the problem. I also wrapped the joint in aluminum tape (and screwed the chimney to the Garn).

Any shared experience, either yeah or nay, would be most appreciated! Thanks! Bruce

We always caulk that area and the pipe to adapter ring joint as a matter of good installation practice. Same as any other wood burner with a welded on "starter" collar.
Every CB we have ever done leaks creosote at that joint unless we caulk the devil out of it.
IIRC I think it's in the manual also.

Hello all, I had a little smoke and a little water and that would be because the so called high temp. sealer the kid at the big box store sold me was not high temp enough. So it to was on the floor. So I have now applied a muffler sealant that is rated for 1500 degrees( hope that wasn't a mistake) It seems to have done the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.