Garn Horizontal Flue - other options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmyrick

Hearth Supporter
Jun 20, 2008
eastern ma
As with many others, I am seriously considering a wood gasification boiler to replace/supplement my propane boiler. I don't want to install a dedicated vertical stack for this boiler. Based on the Garn literature, Garn is "the only wood-fired hydronic heater certified for both horizontal and vertical flue venting." I presume this means no vertical stack and all off-gas/moisture discharges from the side vent (cool video showing this). Is this accurate and do any other gasification boilers vent similarly?

Also, any recommendations for dealers/installers of Garn (and other horizontal flue venting units, if available) in eastern MA?

Thanks,

Ron

ronm, as you saw the horizontal flue in the video, this does give possible options,the installation manual states that,flue gas shall be discharged a at least 1 foot above ground. flue gas shall not be discharged horizontally under these conditions, 1 within 15ft of a powered air inlet into a building or structure except for the garn air inlet, 2 within 12 ft of any door,window ,3 less than 7 ft above grade when located adjacent to public walkways, 4 into a confined space between two buildings or structures, 5 into a area that collects debris,6 onto a parkinglot,7 closer than 1 ft from the building siding. if necessary you can transition to vertical with a t/cleanout. in any case you will need to use duratech class A 2100f ht flue components to comply with garns label for building code compliance/ insurance coverage. it may or may not be cheaper depending on your install criteria. have you gone on the garn website to locate a distributor? you are welcome to call me . tom

Status
Not open for further replies.