1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Garn is up and running

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Deere3720, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    The flow stabilizer is an add-on accessory for my age of Garn, I understand that they are now included in the new ones. It is installed in the final pass of the exhaust.....beyond the fan. It is suppose to increase efficiency slightly & help puffing. In my installation I can notice a more quiet and stable fan noise out the exhaust the without it.

I do not have the new controller.:(

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Kemer, does your backhoe have a pivoting head?
  3. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Hey Ward, winter has been mild both snow & temperatures. We have not been below 0 degrees F yet. I seem to go through about 9-10 cords a year. I am heating the 1200 sq/ft shop and the 4600 sq/ft house (2300' up and down). I burn hardwood during the winter heating season, sugar maple mixed with yellow birch, red maple, and cherry.

I will shortly install the yellow birch plank flooring in the living room and will follow with panel radiators as I worry about heat under the hardwood floor.

My 1050 is a jammer,don't mind that as I feel it can take more abuse pulling heavy loads slowly with the grader chains installed. I use low 1&2 a lot when skidding tree lengths. I am still on the original clutch after 5500 hours. In fact I have not replaced a part yet other than a tie rod I bent on a Iced snowbank.
  4. wardk

wardk Member

Loc:
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks Sawyer, my heat loads are similar to yours.I was beginning to doubt the efficiency of my system after reading on this forum guys using 5 cords or less. Even though I don't have 3 year old seasoned hardwood.

You are right about the jammers taking more abuse I use my Fendt for the heavy work, it's a 70hp jammer, pick a gear and plow all day. The JD is 32hp Yanmar hydro 65hrs, it's handy for light work and my wife can run it . I hope it lasts for 5500 hrs like yours.
  5. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
  6. Kemer

Kemer Member

Loc:
    Northeast Pa
    No just a thumb but I'll say I laughed at my brothers untill I tryed it and then whent and bought one
    the bucket does move aqnd the thumb is fixed
  7. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    I will have to have the neighbor weld one on my hoe, sounds like it will be useful if you like yours. Really wish I could justify a knuckle-boom loader attachment for the Bobcat.
  8. denvershepherd

denvershepherd Member

Loc:
    denver

I'm about 2 or 3 weeks (hopefully) away from going on line with my Garn 2000 and just wanted to let you know that we removed our carpet and installed wood looking tile. We liked the look of wood but the durability of tile because we have dogs and it actually turned out nice. We were worried it would look 'ghetto' but we were pleasantly surprised. Just another option for you if you wanted to do heated floors. I'll attach a pic...

Attached Files:

9. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    I like the hand scraped look, doesn’t look like tile in the picture. I am stuck with the Yellow Birch; it is from trees I selected on my woodlot. I cut them on my Woodmizer and had the lumber kiln dried before T&G. The boards were 30% curly. I have 6.75”, 5”, 4”, and 3” to make a random pattern.
  10. denvershepherd

denvershepherd Member

Loc:
    denver
    They sound nice. Have a picture of them?
  11. Deere3720

Deere3720 Member

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    Thanks for the picture. Now that I see it I rememeber installing it. It came with my controller. I guess I will have to play around with it in and with it out.

Man did you put all those hours on the 1050? I got my JD in May and already put on a 136 hours and I thought that was a lot. I guess I am going to have to blow off work more often.
  12. wardk

wardk Member

Loc:
    B.C. Canada
    Rusty mine smokes at the beginning and end of the burn, no smoke once the flue reaches 350 or higher.
  13. Kemer

Kemer Member

Loc:
    Northeast Pa
    I find that mine rarely smokes more then 10 min.and never towards the end.I try to use enough kindling and start a good fire with my blow torch.If I start the fire right it doesn't smoke at all.
  14. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    I haven't installed the floor yet. Right now it's just a bundle of random length/width boards.
  15. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Yes, I put all the hours but 350 on it. Bought it in a bankruptcy sale for $12,000 in '91 with log splitter, loader, plow, box scraper, rear blade, and back hoe with two buckets. We have used it to work the woodlot, support the sawmill, tear down the cabin, and build the new house and garage. If I had to choose one vehicle, I would have to choose the tractor for all around versatility.
  16. wardk

wardk Member

Loc:
    B.C. Canada
    I blame the smoking at the end on less than perfectly seasoned wood.
  17. Deere3720

Deere3720 Member

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    Man you should have been arrested. What a steal!!
  18. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    I was happy, happy, happy, when the offer was excepted. :)