Garn is up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
George what is a "flow straightener'? Are you using the new digital controller?

The flow stabilizer is an add-on accessory for my age of Garn, I understand that they are now included in the new ones. It is installed in the final pass of the exhaust.....beyond the fan. It is suppose to increase efficiency slightly & help puffing. In my installation I can notice a more quiet and stable fan noise out the exhaust the without it.

I do not have the new controller.:(

Attachments

• Garn flow stabilizer.jpg
    Garn flow stabilizer.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 149
Hey Sawyer . haven't heard from you for a while, how is your winter going? It's been moderate here just below freezing lot's of snow.I was wondering for much wood you go through in a season? It's my first year with the garn and I think the way it's going I'll burn 10 cords a least,not the best wood fir and pine. Is your 1050 a hydro or jammer?

Hey Ward, winter has been mild both snow & temperatures. We have not been below 0 degrees F yet. I seem to go through about 9-10 cords a year. I am heating the 1200 sq/ft shop and the 4600 sq/ft house (2300' up and down). I burn hardwood during the winter heating season, sugar maple mixed with yellow birch, red maple, and cherry.

I will shortly install the yellow birch plank flooring in the living room and will follow with panel radiators as I worry about heat under the hardwood floor.

My 1050 is a jammer,don't mind that as I feel it can take more abuse pulling heavy loads slowly with the grader chains installed. I use low 1&2 a lot when skidding tree lengths. I am still on the original clutch after 5500 hours. In fact I have not replaced a part yet other than a tie rod I bent on a Iced snowbank.

Hey Ward, winter has been mild both snow & temperatures. We have not been below 0 degrees F yet. I seem to go through about 9-10 cords a year. I am heating the 1200 sq/ft shop and the 4600 sq/ft house (2300' up and down). I burn hardwood during the winter heating season, sugar maple mixed with yellow birch, red maple, and cherry.

I will shortly install the yellow birch plank flooring in the living room and will follow with panel radiators as I worry about heat under the hardwood floor.

My 1050 is a jammer,don't mind that as I feel it can take more abuse pulling heavy loads slowly with the grader chains installed. I use low 1&2 a lot when skidding tree lengths. I am still on the original clutch after 5500 hours. In fact I have not replaced a part yet other than a tie rod I bent on a Iced snowbank.
Thanks Sawyer, my heat loads are similar to yours.I was beginning to doubt the efficiency of my system after reading on this forum guys using 5 cords or less. Even though I don't have 3 year old seasoned hardwood.

You are right about the jammers taking more abuse I use my Fendt for the heavy work, it's a 70hp jammer, pick a gear and plow all day. The JD is 32hp Yanmar hydro 65hrs, it's handy for light work and my wife can run it . I hope it lasts for 5500 hrs like yours.

Thanks Sawyer, my heat loads are similar to yours.I was beginning to doubt the efficiency of my system after reading on this forum guys using 5 cords or less. Even though I don't have 3 year old seasoned hardwood.]

Ward, I use ParkFalls, WI, 9078 Heating Degree Days (HDD) @ 70°_90 degree differential for my heat loss calculations. I am using less fuel than expected using their estimates (I am sure they have a safety factor). When I first started up I weighed each load to calculate efficiency and amount of wood to reach a certain temperature. It takes X #'s of wood for BTU's required. Shorter shoulder seasons and higher mid-winter temperatures make a big difference.

Kemer, does your backhoe have a pivoting head?
No just a thumb but I'll say I laughed at my brothers untill I tryed it and then whent and bought one
the bucket does move aqnd the thumb is fixed

No just a thumb but I'll say I laughed at my brothers untill I tryed it and then whent and bought one
I will have to have the neighbor weld one on my hoe, sounds like it will be useful if you like yours. Really wish I could justify a knuckle-boom loader attachment for the Bobcat.

I'm about 2 or 3 weeks (hopefully) away from going on line with my Garn 2000 and just wanted to let you know that we removed our carpet and installed wood looking tile. We liked the look of wood but the durability of tile because we have dogs and it actually turned out nice. We were worried it would look 'ghetto' but we were pleasantly surprised. Just another option for you if you wanted to do heated floors. I'll attach a pic...

Attachments

• IMAG0011_2.jpg
    IMAG0011_2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 164
I like the hand scraped look, doesn’t look like tile in the picture. I am stuck with the Yellow Birch; it is from trees I selected on my woodlot. I cut them on my Woodmizer and had the lumber kiln dried before T&G. The boards were 30% curly. I have 6.75”, 5”, 4”, and 3” to make a random pattern.

I like the hand scraped look, doesn’t look like tile in the picture. I am stuck with the Yellow Birch; it is from trees I selected on my woodlot. I cut them on my Woodmizer and had the lumber kiln dried before T&G. The boards were 30% curly. I have 6.75”, 5”, 4”, and 3” to make a random pattern.

They sound nice. Have a picture of them?

The flow stabilizer is an add-on accessory for my age of Garn, I understand that they are now included in the new ones. It is installed in the final pass of the exhaust.....beyond the fan. It is suppose to increase efficiency slightly & help puffing. In my installation I can notice a more quiet and stable fan noise out the exhaust the without it.

I do not have the new controller.:(

Thanks for the picture. Now that I see it I rememeber installing it. It came with my controller. I guess I will have to play around with it in and with it out.

Man did you put all those hours on the 1050? I got my JD in May and already put on a 136 hours and I thought that was a lot. I guess I am going to have to blow off work more often.

Congrats on the Garn! I'm inches from pulling the trigger in Vermont, but the last thing is a worry I'm going to smell smoke all the time. I would also do the verticle. The building I'm looking to use as the famous "Garn Barn" is a post and beam adjacent to my house, but off its northeast corner. Yup- we get north wind most of the time here in the Champlain Valley, so I imagine if it's coming out, I'm going to smell it. Am I worried about nothing?

PS- Your JD has shinier paint than mine, but I still love it!
Rusty mine smokes at the beginning and end of the burn, no smoke once the flue reaches 350 or higher.

Rusty mine smokes at the beginning and end of the burn, no smoke once the flue reaches 350 or higher.
I find that mine rarely smokes more then 10 min.and never towards the end.I try to use enough kindling and start a good fire with my blow torch.If I start the fire right it doesn't smoke at all.

Thanks for the picture. Now that I see it I rememeber installing it. It came with my controller. I guess I will have to play around with it in and with it out.

Man did you put all those hours on the 1050? I got my JD in May and already put on a 136 hours and I thought that was a lot. I guess I am going to have to blow off work more often.
Yes, I put all the hours but 350 on it. Bought it in a bankruptcy sale for $12,000 in '91 with log splitter, loader, plow, box scraper, rear blade, and back hoe with two buckets. We have used it to work the woodlot, support the sawmill, tear down the cabin, and build the new house and garage. If I had to choose one vehicle, I would have to choose the tractor for all around versatility.

I find that mine rarely smokes more then 10 min.and never towards the end.I try to use enough kindling and start a good fire with my blow torch.If I start the fire right it doesn't smoke at all.
I blame the smoking at the end on less than perfectly seasoned wood.

Yes, I put all the hours but 350 on it. Bought it in a bankruptcy sale for $12,000 in '91 with log splitter, loader, plow, box scraper, rear blade, and back hoe with two buckets. We have used it to work the woodlot, support the sawmill, tear down the cabin, and build the new house and garage. If I had to choose one vehicle, I would have to choose the tractor for all around versatility.

Man you should have been arrested. What a steal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.