Garn move at last

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Como

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2008
Colorado
www.comodepot.net
379853_2428546355773_1315002062_32142899_1987657375_n.jpg

Tomorrow we connect the insulated lines to the building and run them to the slab.

I dug the trench, now partly filled with snow but tomorrow is supposed to be a warm day.

The ground is a bit lumpy, but this puppy made it easy to move.

Como said:
379853_2428546355773_1315002062_32142899_1987657375_n.jpg

Tomorrow we connect the insulated lines to the building and run them to the slab.

I dug the trench, now partly filled with snow but tomorrow is supposed to be a warm day.

The ground is a bit lumpy, but this puppy made it easy to move.
Always nice to see a Garn being installed. As a person who has moved many a piece of heavy machinery with a hard tired forklift on ground, those all terrain forklift/loaders are nice. Randy

Nice to see you making some good progress, David.

Just so you know, I'm hoping for a picture of Thing 1 and Thing 2 together with the hotel in the background.

Good luck with tomorrows adventures in hydronics,

Noah

392046_2429225132742_1315002062_32143366_1527857796_n.jpg

Well this has some scenery in the background.

Really nice. Hope all goes well for ya with the install. Remember, lots of pictures! That is a nice looking toy you have there!

Very nice!

Almost 4000 gallons and 700k btuh's. Wow.

What r-value are you aiming for around the Garns?

And what size underground lines are you running?

Noah

The lines are 2 inch.

The building walls will be R28.

I am slightly offsetting them and of course they are round, the shortest point from boiler to wall will be 12 inches ish, so if I fill that up it would be R70? I have nearly that now in the attic.

They are not quite in their final position, will do that tomorrow or the day after.

Very nice!! When do you expect to fire ?

A construction lift/skytrac is the berries for moving a Garn. We took five off a semi in 20 minutes last month.
You just don't want to boom out to far with almost 2 tons hanging on it. Experience has shown that you can put a machine weighing 12,000# on its nose rather easily........don't ask...... :eek:

Been around those off-road lifts and I was thinking how the Garn made it look small! Congrats. Looks like the hotel is doing well. So a Garn for your house and one for the hotel? I'd guess a pair of underground lines for each Garn? 2" is a very big energy pipe, you running a pair 2" lines for each Garn? And then I just have to ask... how did you insulate those 2" lines? My wife and I love visting the old mines and towns like Ouray, Telluride, Cripple Creek, Silverton all along the million dollar highway. You in that part of CO? Sorry for the interogation just a facinating story. You know what they say about inquiring minds.....

TCaldwell said:
Is the foam board under there?

There is under the concrete. And another layer when I set them in their final place, you can see it stacked between the Boilers:

P1080327.JPG

P1080324.JPG

A better view with the Insulated pipe coming out of the slab.

P1080340.JPG

Now in their final position with foam underneath. A friend of mine said last week that it was 100F warmer than the same day last year.

Kinda makes you wonder if you need all that heat.

It is warm here in Michigan also. There is no snow, my grass is green and there is very little frost in the ground except where it's in the shade. We have had about zero service work this winter so far. As I type this the sky is crystal clear and the OD temp is 31*. Normal January temps under a high pressure system like right now would be 0 to -15*. This is nuts. Just hoping we don't pay for it in April and May...........

That weather sure makes doing the install a lot easier on the fingers David. I am enjoying your photo progress; looking forward to the next shots.

It is 30 degrees here with Lake effect Snow Advisory in effect from 6 PM this evening to noon Friday. Maybe winter will start soon. Snowmobile trails need a refreshing.

shouldn't #2847 be on the left??? Building looks too small, it's not to late for more. Going to name them ??

It is 28x16

I have a slight advantage in that I do not need to keep my wood undercover, bigger building is always nice, this kept on getting bigger and bigger...

My estimation is 50 cords a year, but we are essentially a high semi arid desert, not a lot of moisture and anything from October to June is snow.

Temperature this afternoon was 40F lower than yesterday, I have been backfilling the trench with sand, the load today froze into the truck bed.

I have a marker pen.....

Burnie and Burnice has been suggested?

Burt and Ernie, hehe.

Wow what a heatload for 50 cords per year! I bet you are itching to get em fired up. Enjoying watching your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.