Garn Owners Sight glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemer

Feb 26, 2008
Northeast Pa
Just wondering what you guys did for a water level site glass.

Kemer said:
Just wondering what you guys did for a water level site glass.

I don't use a tank level indicator. I bring the temperature up to +- 190 Deg., put a 5 gallon container under the overflow and fill until water starts to run into the pail. I then leave the pail there for a few firings then replace it with a 1 gallon pail. I also installed a tee with a valve on the return where I can install filtered water via a garden hose.
Hope this helps.

I installed a ball valve and Tee fitting on the sample tap (next to the top temp. gauge). I turned it so I could sample down and put a cap on that. Then ran a piece of white pex tubing up. When I open the valve the "gauge" shows the tank level. This helped us find out that we had a leak in the piping. I also filled with the overflow bucket method mentioned above, but ran it up to 200*. At that point I marked the pex tube with Top of Tank line. I also marked the lower levels at 120* and summer off temp. The "Elcheapo" level gauge works great and won't break.

Put a 3/4" x 6" nipple in one of the two tappings above the loading door and thread the bull side on the nipple. Put a boiler drain on the bottom and a 3/4" x hose barb on the other side. Get a piece of clear, heavy vinyl tube (a dairy supply store is a good place) made for 180* water and run it up over the unit and back into the 3/4" tapping in the manhole. You'll be able to read exact water level at a glance and any steam will simply go back into the garn through the manhole. The tube doesn't have to hold any pressure so it doesn't have to be the reinforced type with the nylon web in it.

I may have found a sight glass in the grainger catalog.Its part no. 5HD40 It has 7 1/2 inches of site glass and is vented on top.They have shorter ones 4 1/2 also Appox$25.00.It will need an elbow and a nipple to get out from garn in front of sheet rock.I just need to figure out where the best water level will be.

I used a salvaged sight glass from an old steam boiler I was scrapping. Bottom is piped to a bung next to the loading door (near the water temp gauge). The upper valve is open, and some cotton is stuffed to prevent critters, etc. from getting in.

Water level is about 4" below the top when hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.