Garn piping Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
Is it OK to run the supply and return lines that go from the pump to the house above the height of the manhole cover? I would like to run the pipes over the entrance door of the boiler room to reach the far wall on which my pumps and black pipe would be mounted.

Thanks, George

You have to have the main circ coming off the Garn below the supply/upper tapping in the back. It's preferable to get the circ mounted as low as possible in order to maintain positive pressure (head) on the suction side of the circ. Once you have that accomplished you can run the pipe anyplace you please. Going up to the ceiling and across would not be a problem. If the piping goes back down once past your doorway, I would probably recommend some type of an air bleed at the point it turns down, either automatic or just a manual valve, to purge the air from the pipe going across. If you go down in back of the Garn then up and across, and then turn back down you have created a very nice air trap up on your ceiling. Nothing that can't be dealt with but just be aware of it.

Thanks Heaterman,

I am glad to hear that this configuration is possible. I was worried that I had myself in a corner and was looking at jack-hammer rental. My pump will be about a foot off the floor and bleeders are understandable on the “air trap”.

Thanks again for your time, I have been waiting for two days for Garn to call back and then you and the Boiler Room come through instantly. What a big help this is!

George

Status
Not open for further replies.