garn primary loop plumbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

varadhammo

Sep 28, 2014
Lexington, VA
Hi all,

so here's the current plan for my primary GARN plumbing. after reading the threads about GARN stratification and supply temps, and talking to Chris Holley about how drawing a very low flow from the GARN could lead to excessive stratification, this is what I came up with. I would run the primary pump (an alpha) whenever there's a call for heat from either building, and also whenever the GARN is charging, to help keep the tank mixed. If either the primary pump or either secondary pump goes down, I can flip some valves and make this configuration into a simple supply & return header, and either use the primary pump to push heat to the crippled secondary, or use the secondary pumps to draw off the garn if the primary pump goes down.

I'm about ready to start wrestling with some iron pipe, so I wanted to run this by some discerning eyes before I go ahead. Thanks for all the help you guys offer!

Jake

near garn plumbing.jpg

P.S. Any other timber framed "GARN barns" out there? (This pic is from early September, it's all closed in now, more pics soon...)
IMG_2717.JPG

Reactions: flyingcow
That's HOT! I've seen some pretty swank Garn Barns before, but timber frame is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.