1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Garn sediment problems

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Kemer, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Kemer

Kemer Member

Loc:
    Northeast Pa
    I had boiler drains in the right place and used a sump pump in a bucket then flushed with clean water.My garn is 187* and my feed to house is 180*

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Glad this worked so well for you Harry. Now I know what to do with that sump pump I have been storing along with a lot of other junk out in the pole building. Like you, I made sure I placed drains in the lines along with isolation valves and unions when I first did my install just for this purpose. When I am done heating and just supplying hot domestic water I will clean my HX just to see the difference.
  3. Kemer

Kemer Member

Loc:
    Northeast Pa
    I bought those washing machine hoses with the two female ends and they worked great
  4. NCFord

NCFord Member

Loc:
    central NC
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to this forum and Wood Gasification, but what you might look into is a coolant filter setup for a diesel truck engine. Some of these trucks(like my ford 6.0) have serious problems with crap pluging the heat exchanges. These filters setups come with a filter head and use coolant filters from NAPA which are cheap. I think the whole thing cost me around $150 form performance machine. I think the cir. pumps would benefit from clean water especially if your water storage is an old propane tank. I think all you would have to do is install it between the supply and return side so it acts as a bypass filter. I think I am going to install one with my new boiler. I may make my own and just use the napa fliters with another type of filter head...not sure about that yet.