Garn Spotted!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

navyinak

Sep 4, 2008
Juneau, AK
Ok, so I was riding down the road in Haines, Alaska today when on the left I saw this big green Garn machine, with a sign that said "Smokeless Heat." Seeing as I am in southeast Alaska, I didn't think I would ever see one of these things in person. I didn't have any time to take a closer look, but it is encouraging to see none the less. It is also interesting to me that it is less than half a mile from a store that sells smoky OWB's and has had the same one on his lot for over a year. As I was talking to my driver about it, I learned that another fellow in Haines had one of those fancy "wood gasifier" setups that I should see. Next time I am in Haines, it is a date. Finally, on my ride to the airport I find that my new chaffeur is in the process of installing a wood boiler in their home. She was not sure of the type, but I am betting it is another gasifier. So, all in all, it was a very exciting trip to Haines. I will report any new findings on future trips as they happen. :)

That is interesting. The "official" dealer for GARN in AK is in Dot Lake. That is almost 500 miles away. At least there is one unit out there for sale! If it were in the northern midwest or the northeast, I doubt it would be sitting on the side of the road. It would be in someones garage or shed about now.

Is summer over up there by now?

We are still waiting for summer here. I think you guys soaked up all the heat, and it never made it this far north. How about sharing some of that global warming will you?

48 degrees and raining this morning. Expected high of 53. The fireweed has all turned to fluff indicating that winter will soon be upon us. I suspect when the clouds lift, there may be a dusting of "termination dust" on the mountain tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.