Garn Spring cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemer

Feb 26, 2008
Northeast Pa
Doing my spring cleaning and am very satisfied at how little there is to clean out of the tubes.I probably don't have to clean them but I will.The only real problem I have is it looks like I have to replace my anode rod.I will be sending in another water sample and see what they have to say.The other problem is my gaskets stuck to the steel.Heaterman any tricks for that? The inside of my tank looks like day one.
Harry

Probably not the best way. The way I do things rarely is. But my gaskets stuck and separated both times I've cleaned mine in two seasons. I just carefully put everything back in it's original position, snugged up the nuts, no leaks two years.

Ahh yes.....the gaskets. If you can get them off in one piece you can reuse them with no problem. Like Rick said, even if they don't come off completely intact, you can bolt 'em back up as long as they are not in itty bitty pieces.

That being said...What I tell my customers when they buy a new Garn is this. Before firing the garn take off all the cleanout covers and put a layer of antisieze on the face of the gasket. Use the graphite or lead based stuff, not the copper based and just give the gasket/garn mating surface a coating of the the compound. You'll find that the gaskets will come right off without sticking 9 times out of ten.

As far as getting the gaskets off after you have a year or so on them, I find that a narrow (1") putty knife with a flexible blade works pretty well to get behind the gasket and pop it loose.

Harry, Did you find cleanout brushes at the local hardware store or did you have to buy? 6" is standard, but there is a smaller pipe, right? I haven't looked yet....sorry for the lack of effort.

Thanks Heaterman ,Good idea. I decided to buy mine from garn because I needed a anode rod also.Kieth said all they do is use a 5" brush and wrap a towel around it to clean the 6".So all you need is a 5"& 4"

Still heating here, you guys must be in the tropics. Next you will be talking about trees with leaves on them. :shut: :cheese:

I'm still burning too, about 1 load every two days, mainly for hot water, but a little floor heating....but small. Been bringing in wood and now just starting to get buds that are opening. Winch is working really well.

Harry, are you planning to burn during the summer? if not, are you going to flood the garn all up to the tippy top?

Thanks!

My garn is down waiting for new gaskets that got damaged when I was inspecting it. But I have a heat pump and oil burner and I just don't know if I want to burn wood all year. When I get it back together I'll see how long a burn will go with just hot water use.

Status
Not open for further replies.