Garrison 2 Model help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdhickma

Sep 8, 2013
Im renting a house with a well maintained Garrison 2. I grew up with a wood stove with a sliding air vent on the door and a damper on the flu pipe. This set up does not have a damper on the flu pipe. As far as i can yell, its straight up the flu and out the chimney. I can't seem to keep a fire going when I secure or push closed the doors. Im relying on the stove to keep my fuel heat bills down. Àny advice is well appreciated.

Can we assume that the chimney was well cleaned recently? That is step one. Did you buy wood this year? Have you tested the wood for moisture content? If it is poorly seasoned it is not going to burn well, even with the air control wide open. Take a few of your wood pieces and split them in half. Test the freshly exposed face with a moisture meter or press it up against your cheek. If it feels cool and damp it probably is not ready to burn. Dry firewood is key to good burning. Some wood like oak takes at least 2 years to dry out after it is split and stacked.

bg X 2, the air controls for this stove are in the upper back corners, they are screw type, open up by twisting knob so it moves out, There should also be a baffle plate inside the unit so you don't lose all the heat up the flue. Not the most efficient unit (non EPA of course) but a decent little heater.

https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/garrsion_two.pdf

Reactions: Stevendoc
Open the two rear vents wide open and leave the front door cracked just a tad to start the kindling. The stove may not draft very well, from complete cold on warm days and/or with a short chimney, but it should be fine as it gets colder. Outside temp and chimney height make a big difference in flue draft.

Having said that, most important thing is a clean chimney. When it's cold, you will be able to turn the two screw down vents down to about 1/8 of an inch to closed as well as closing the front door for a nice steady state burn.

Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.