Q&A Garrison Stove gasket question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi --I just had my doors professionally re-gasketed for my Garrison Stove, and it came back without any gasketing material on the doors where the doors overlap. Without a gasket in that location, how can there be an air tight seal? Was this job performed as recommended by the manufacturer?I tried to reach Garrison Stove Works and found out they are no longer in business. Perhaps if I could locate a manual, I'd be able to find out the spec for gasketing.

Answer:

They have been out of business for 20 years! Some stoves have gaskets between the doors...others did not. The amount of air that would get in through a tightly fitting metal to metal surface is usually very little. It should be obvious in the design of the door as to whether or not gasket was supposed to be on that surface. There is usually a deep grove and you should see the remains of the former gasket and/or cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.