Garrison Three soapstone replacement and other questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtmen98

Oct 2, 2014
NY
Hi all, thanks for the forum and thanks in advance for bearing with my learning curve.

I was recently given a Garrison Three (I believe the smallest of the garrison stoves stamped 1979) and I am wondering if the issues it has are worth fixing.

I would be using it for a small, rustic 400 sq.ft cabin in the Hudson Valley that I use as a studio/workshop.
The cabin was built in the 1930s and has a fieldstone chimney/fireplace with a good sized concrete hearth. The opening is roughly 36x24x18. I was also given separately a 20ft length of 6" stainless stove pipe that I plan to run down the existing chimney to the stove.
I am currently working on insulating the building to maximize the heat retention.

As for the Garrison, The first thing (and I believe most major) is that it is missing
The soapstone that lines the bottom of the stove. Are replacements available somewhere? I followed all the links on this site and didn't see them but not sure if there is an aftermarket option. If not, are there alternatives? Would regular firebrick work?
Second thing is the baffle is warped. I know you can buy a new one but is it worth paying to cut out the old and weld in a new one?

Ultimately, I will use the stove infrequently in a small space to get me through the NY winter. It is a rental space so I don't want to spend a lot of money (ideally $300 max) is it worth fixing up the Garrison or is there a better stove out there for my needs?
Thanks
Greg

I'm guessing you are doing the renting and the owner is OK with a stove being installed? Is your renter's insurance OK with installing this stove in that space?

If those aren't yes answers, then things stop right there before you put money into the unit.

If they are yes answers, then the next question might be, is this the only source of heat for the place? Are you going to be warming the place up from -5F in the winter and want it to be warm in a short period of time? What's the rest of the construction like as far as building materials / insulation / windows?

400sqft isn't a big space, but knowing more about what your hopes / requirements are is a helpful.

Welcome to the site and good luck.

pen

I'm guessing you are doing the renting and the owner is OK with a stove being installed? Is your renter's insurance OK with installing this stove in that space?

If those aren't yes answers, then things stop right there before you put money into the unit.

If they are yes answers, then the next question might be, is this the only source of heat for the place? Are you going to be warming the place up from -5F in the winter and want it to be warm in a short period of time? What's the rest of the construction like as far as building materials / insulation / windows?

400sqft isn't a big space, but knowing more about what your hopes / requirements are is a helpful.

Welcome to the site and good luck.

pen

Thanks for the reply, I am indeed renting and the owner is actually the one who gave me the stove to use so I guess he is ok with it. As for insurance, I am will be looking into it before I make any final decisions but I guess for the purposes of this thread lets say yes they are.

The stove will be the only source of heat. I am hoping it doesn't get down to -5F but it is possible! It would be nice if it heated up somewhat quickly, but I guess speed isn't as important as consistency. I don't want it to have great arcs between blazing hot and chilly again. The house is stick framed with old lap siding. Currently I am pulling all the siding off and re-sheeting the place with OSB and tyvek house wrap. I will then be using fiberglass insulation in the walls and sheet rock over that. The floor is an old wood floor that is pretty rough. There is no insulation beneath the floors and the underneath of the house is open. The doors are not plumb so there is some air getting in there but the windows are vinyl replacements and sealed. There is no ceiling, just joists and the peaked roof that is maybe 15 feet at the crest. The roof is sound and the shingles are in decent shape.

Thanks again
—Greg

I had the larger Garrison for many years at my Cabin on Mt Hood. Other than burning dirty it was a nice stove. It was the primary heat source for the upper two floors (1400 sq. ft) of a three story cabin which was well insulated. (basement was not heated)

The Baffle was very warped, but that did not seem to make any difference except possibly when the doors were open for fueling. I'm sure the bottom of my stove was firebrick as were the side and back liners. The only soapstone I'm aware of was an optional top that sat on the outside of the stove top. I never had one of these, and while it would be nice it is not necessary.

The best flue arrangement for this stove is to put a Tee on the back so you can run a flue brush all the way down the flue, and through the Tee (after removing the cap). If the stone chimney is on the outside of the cabin, you will lose a lot of your heat to it, and tend to get more creosote in the stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.