Gas cans that DONT leak??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
55 gal drum works pretty good for storing waste oil.

Baby steps. I'll get that once I get the new garage in and a lift.

I like my old cans and caps that can pour really fast, but one advantage the No-Spill can has for equipment with small tanks (like chainsaws) is that you can control pour speed with one button instead of having to tilt the can for pour speed adjustment.

You can buy old style vents and spouts to retrofit the new style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAS-CAN-SPO...528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337f9dab48

$%28KGrHqNHJBEE-b3RQmhiBPvRw9q,sw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Reactions: nate379 and Jags
I have 2 WWII surplus jerry cans that have been providing service for quite a few years now and one that has been in service since the 80s. There are plenty still around and I've seen new ones for sale. You might want to keep an eye out for them. They aren't cheap, but something that has been in service since the late 40s pays for itself. The fill hole and spouts look like they've changed, but I'd bet they still work well.

Matt

I have 2 WWII surplus jerry cans that have been providing service for quite a few years now and one that has been in service since the 80s. There are plenty still around and I've seen new ones for sale. You might want to keep an eye out for them. They aren't cheap, but something that has been in service since the late 40s pays for itself. The fill hole and spouts look like they've changed, but I'd bet they still work well.

Matt

One from the 80s:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-80s...043&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=5&sd=181105780343&

I have 6-7 of those in the shed. Never have used them, they are heavy as hell!

I had similar complaints a year ago, when MasterMech enlightened me to No-Spill:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/for-the-love-of-simple-gas-cans.89373/

I bought one, very skeptical, and fell in love with it. I liked it so much, I bought three more, even replacing one of my functional old-school cans with a No-Spill. The No-Spill is the first can I've found that can fill my Deere 855 without spilling a drop, and they're fast! Also, they're the heaviest, most durable, non-metallic cans I've ever bought. Well worth the extra few dollars, IMO.

Those type of containers don't hold up well to gas.

I had some gas in an empty oil jug for one of the trucks (once in a while the fuel pump/carb would lose prime and it needed some gas dumped down the carb for it to fire up... seemed to always do it 50 miles from no where too)

Anyhow it sat in the bed of teh truck and after 6-7 months it was nearly round. Between the expansion from heat and the gas softening the plastic it reformed it.

Just ordered all three sizes of the No Spills last week, free shipping is slow, should have them thursday or friday. The small engine shops around here use them and like them, time will tell for me, anythings gotta be better than most of the crap on the box store shelves these days.
I ordered one of the flex extension spouts with them, anyone tried that attachment, was wondering if that was 4 bucks wasted or not.

I ran my 1.5g no spill and my 2g spectre?(looks like the ones in prev. posts) over w/ my 1ton loaded(cord plus) last Aug., n.s. was over half full and spectre? was just under half. N.S. was creased like it was flattened, other one looked similar. No spill & no leaks from either after a 11000+lb. gvw crunch. I remembered that I put them their to stay dry when I felt the axle ride up, but I still can't believe they took it.

The tells you what the secret is. You have to push her buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.