Gas Fireplace Flue question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adam1218.ac

Jan 26, 2015
Chicago Il
Hi All,

New to site and too fireplaces for that matter and had a question and wondering if you would have an answer. So in April of last year I moved into my new house so I have been focusing on my house and not the garage....until now. So that brings me to this situation, I am in the process of hanging up cabinets and shelves etc and was trying to plan effectively. If you look at the picture attached I have a flue that comes from my fireplace in my basement that comes in to my garage and heads to an angle in my garage which really dampers the storage space in the garage. My question is can I mess with the flue and adjust angles in the pipe ? I created pictures to hopefully illustrate what I mean...

The actual picture is how it is now, the second picture is how I want to set it up..

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 198
  • gfdagdrgs.png
    gfdagdrgs.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 163
You need to find the owners manual for your fireplace (you should also include it in your post so folks will have a better idea of what you're dealing with). It will tell you what the approved venting options are for it. That's what you need to stay in compliance with. Also, what kind (manufacturer and make) of pipe is it? You'll need to know that in order to make sure you're maintaining the required clearances to combustibles for the pipe.

You should be good to go as long as you keep the same number of elbows in the system. Most vent configurations are designed with 90s in them,
& you can use (2) 45s in lieu of (1) 90. What fireplace are you talking about? If I can look at an on-line manual, I can see if your intended design
is acceptable.

The rating plate is generally located in the valve cavity under the firebox.
It can be an actual metal plate or it may be a sticker attached to the floor.
The model # & serial # should be on it.

So I looked for a bit last night and didn't see anything.... I will say that this thing has not been used in a while, there is SOOOOOO much cobwebs etc in it. Its actually disgusting. ..

I am assuming this pic wont help?

Attachments

• IMG_0756[1].JPG
    IMG_0756[1].JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 153
That pic does NOT show a gas fireplace. It shows a wood burning fireplace with a gas log set installed.
If the venting you show in the original post is attached to that woodburning fireplace, it's a Rube Goldberg
installation & definitely doesn't meet code. I wouldn't use it.
I am not going to comment any further

That pic does NOT show a gas fireplace. It shows a wood burning fireplace with a gas log set installed.
If the venting you show in the original post is attached to that woodburning fireplace, it's a Rube Goldberg
installation & definitely doesn't meet code. I wouldn't use it.
I am not going to comment any further

I would like to say that I love home inspectors! They are well worth the money.....not!

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback. Can you provide any more information on a Rube Goldberg? I google'd the name and came up with a Cartoonist that died a while ago and nothing about a fireplace?

I am not going to use it until I get someone out here, but can you clarify one thing for me? I am assuming I shouldn't use it because the pipe looks like a double wall vs a 3 wall? Or am I on crack?

I would like to say that I love home inspectors! They are well worth the money.....not!

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback. Can you provide any more information on a Rube Goldberg? I google'd the name and came up with a Cartoonist that died a while ago and nothing about a fireplace?

I am not going to use it until I get someone out here, but can you clarify one thing for me? I am assuming I shouldn't use it because the pipe looks like a double wall vs a 3 wall? Or am I on crack?

Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist. A Rube Goldberg machine is one that is needlessly over-complicated. In the cartoons, they always seemed to work. In real life, of course, they typically don't.

Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist. A Rube Goldberg machine is one that is needlessly over-complicated. In the cartoons, they always seemed to work. In real life, of course, they typically don't.

Okay, that makes a little bit of sense....

Out of curiosity, its not a danger to anyone as long as we dont use the fireplace correct?

OK. Rube Goldberg is about the same as Bubble Gum & Baling Wire. Just good enough to get by, but not necessarily safe.
A woodburning masonry fireplace is generally built at the same time and from the same materials as the chimney.
Your set up looks as if the original masonry construction may have been removed (for what ever reason) & SOME type
of venting was then added to make it work. I can't tell WHAT type of pipe that is, whether it's wood vent or gas vent.
If it's double wall, it could be either. It DEFINITELY doesn't appear to be Class A chimney pipe, which would be required
for a wood burning unit & if it IS, it's incorrectly installed, beacuse it has 45 degree elbows in the system.
If it's Direct Vent (DV) gas vent pipe, there isn't a component to safely attach & seal the venting to a masonry fireplace.
The entire venting configuration is suspect & I wouldn't use it. You could always call an NFI Certified Gas Technician to
take a look at it, if you don't trust the building inspector...

Status
Not open for further replies.