Question: Sir, I have a gas fireplace installed in my basement rec-room that just started having a problem with staying lit. It fires for a minute and then the fire goes out. The electric starter then goes into operation but is unable to keep the fire lit. I am unsure why this is occurring. Can you point me in the right direction Answer: This type of problem is difficult to troubleshoot without more information. I'll guess that when you said "electric starter then goes into operation" that you have a unit which uses direct spark ignition, meaning it is hooked up to 110 volts and uses a glowing element to ignite the fire.The order of operation on such a unit is something like this: 1. You turn on switch or thermostat - power is fed to the electric ignition coil 2. After a short delay, the gas valve is opened and gas flows 3. The gas is lit and then heats up a sensor in the unit which "proves" that the fire is lit. 4. This then allows the coil to turn off Based on this logic, it appears that you have a faulty or dirty sensor which is not "proving" the fire. Other possibility - a bad overheat sensor that thinks the fire is too hot..but I'd bet on the first one.