Q&A Gas Fireplace Ignition Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Sir, I have a gas fireplace installed in my basement rec-room that just started having a problem with staying lit. It fires for a minute and then the fire goes out. The electric starter then goes into operation but is unable to keep the fire lit. I am unsure why this is occurring. Can you point me in the right direction

Answer:

This type of problem is difficult to troubleshoot without more information. I'll guess that when you said "electric starter then goes into operation" that you have a unit which uses direct spark ignition, meaning it is hooked up to 110 volts and uses a glowing element to ignite the fire.The order of operation on such a unit is something like this:

1. You turn on switch or thermostat - power is fed to the electric ignition coil
2. After a short delay, the gas valve is opened and gas flows
3. The gas is lit and then heats up a sensor in the unit which "proves" that the fire is lit.
4. This then allows the coil to turn off
Based on this logic, it appears that you have a faulty or dirty sensor which is not "proving" the fire. Other possibility - a bad overheat sensor that thinks the fire is too hot..but I'd bet on the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.