Gas fireplace insert for a small opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertJC

Jan 6, 2008
Jersey City, NJ
Hello everyone. I'm looking to re-create two fireplaces in my 1860s-era rowhouse. (Sadly, somebody ripped them out at some point.) We're planning to buy gas fireplace inserts, then install historic mantles and surrounds around them, hopefully using marble, soapstone, or other stone mantles and surrounds from local salvage shops. I have located some stone mantles and surrounds that look pretty good, but I'm having difficulty finding a good gas insert that is small enough. The old fireplaces in this area formerly burned coal, and their openings are small. The mantle and surround that I'm cleaning up now is slate, with a cast-iron surround that has a rectangular opening 19" wide by 27" high. Does anyone have suggestions for a gas fireplace insert that would fit into that opening?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.