Q&A Gas fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Victorian home with a masonry styled fireplace that is only 10 inches deep. The neighbor upstairs has a working fireplace which has modified the upper portion of the chimney. My question is: Is it possible to modify my current fireplace without taking out the masonry fireplace or expanding into the room? (The room is already too narrow to accommodate such an expansion.) What is the ballpark price of such a modification (assuming it is possible)?

Answer:

Thats very shallow. Perhaps you could put a small gas stove partially in the fireplace, but it will still come out a foot or so from the front. One company makes a very shallow Victorian unit that may fit back in - try http://www.valorflame.com.

In either case, you'd have to run an aluminum liner up the chimney to vent the gas.

Link: Valor Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.