Gas Fireplace removal for Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vego99

Jan 17, 2017
Chester County, PA
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but have lurked around enough to see there are some pretty knowledgeable people here!

My wife and I just moved into a new construction home. Durning the planing stage, we had wanted to have the ability to install a wood stove however the builder did not not have the option to do so. Instead we took them up on the offer to install a gas insert fireplace with a direct vent to the outside.

Needless to say we are unhappy with this insert and would like to remove it and install a wood stove.

I have uploaded two pictures. One of the inside showing what we currently have ( excuse the giant heat hog in front of the insert) and one of the exterior of the house to give you an idea of what we are working with.

Questions:
1. Can this even be done?
2. Can I utilize the the existing direct vent hole for chimney pipe? Is there a better way to do this?
3. Chimney height / clearance. the length of this family room is 12' long. (Face of main house to back wall not including the bump out for the direct vent). Can i get away with being 3' taller than the peak of the family room? Or do i need to clear the main house?

Thanks,

Erik

31565401973_b5ac0a457a_k.jpgUntitled by vego99, on Flickr

31565402303_47f15ccecf_k.jpgUntitled by vego99, on Flickr

There is nothing that enough time, money and effort can't fix. What you want is doable, but it is likely a bigger deal than you might think. A stove alcove will be quite different than the gas stove enclosure. The reuse of the hole in the wall is minor compared with the other changes you will need.