Q&A Gas Fireplace turns off after heating up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: gas fireplace I just recently moved into new home that has a gas fireplace. After running the fireplace for a few minutes the fireplaced turned off on it's own. I was hoping you might be able to give me some suggestions on what the problem might be. This fireplace has an electronic igniter. How often do you recommend I have the unit serviced and what should I be looking for when servicing?

Answer:

Could be quite a few things. Fireplaces with electric ignitors have a control sequence that goes something like this:

1. turn gas on
2. Spark to light gas
3. Check for heat from gas
4. Turn off the ignitor
5. ongoing - check for heat at flue of fireplace - turn unit off if too little of too much heat.

Based on that, it could be #3 or #5....

My guess is that it is a relatively simple repair (sensor or wire) IF you get the right service person.

Once it is working well, it should go for years with little or no service.

Status
Not open for further replies.