Q&A Gas Fireplaces - Conversion to wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear Sir or Madam, I am interested in knowing whether gas fireplaces can be converted to wood burning fireplaces? Can you advise me - I am presently looking at buying a home that has three gas fireplaces and wanted to know if they could be converted to wood burning - there are flues, chimneys, etc. Thanks for your help.

Answer:

If these gas fireplaces were installed as such, then they cannot be converted to wood. However, if they are older or newer wood fireplaces that simply have gas logs installed into them, then they can be converted back to wood. Here's some hints on what type they might be:
1. If the doors are fixed closed, they are almost surely just gas
2. If they have wall switches or remote controls, they are also likely gas
3. If there is a damper that can be closed in the upper part of the firebox, they might be wood
4. If they have a large diameter chimney, over 8" round, then they are probably wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.