Gas Furnace Experts. Question for you on jumping the limit switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swimman

Sep 19, 2008
Rhode Island
Long story short, the limit switch on my Lennox gas furnace is bad. Can't get one for a day or two. I put everything back together the HVAC company took apart and jumped the limit switch. Should I be concerned with doing this or am I ok? What are the consequences? Should have a new one very shortly.

Thanks in advance.

Well I don't do furnaces but I know that the limit switches in gas fireplaces are there to keep your home from burning down if the fireplace is on too long. I'd say you are putting your home and family in great danger. The purpose of the limit switch is likely so the flue, or furnace doesn't get too hot and cause a fire. Bypassing this safety feature can cost you more than your home, this could cost you your life.

swimman said:
Long story short, the limit switch on my Lennox gas furnace is bad. Can't get one for a day or two. I put everything back together the HVAC company took apart and jumped the limit switch. Should I be concerned with doing this or am I ok? What are the consequences? Should have a new one very shortly.

Thanks in advance.

As a professional gasfitter I'll never recommend bypassing the limit. On the other hand I've done it in a pinch.

Depending on where the limit is, (burner compartment or flue) determines level of danger. Are there more than one? Usually newer furnaces have 2-5 limits in different areas to sense flame rollout or plugged venting.

What I would do is keep a close eye on the furnace, purchase a CO detector if you already have one and sit tight. There is usually a reason for a limit failing such as repeated flame rollouts or negative pressure in the house so I would be very concerned with that.

Short answer is no, it's not a good idea. Long answer is you gained a working furnace, while certainly raising the level of danger in your house.

Try using your electric oven for heat for a day or two, much safer.

I would only do it for "testing" purposes only. How long that "test" lasts is up to you. If the furnace fan were to quit, it could get ugly. I wouldn't leave the house or go to sleep with it jumped out. Then again, I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.

Every company I've worked for would have canned me if I did that.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.