Gas Heat N Glo won't light.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudson29016

Nov 13, 2014
South Carolina
I have a Heat N Glo gas fireplace 6000TVFL . The pilot light stays lit. Once I turn the switch on the pilot light goes out. You can hear the valve shutting off. When I jumped the TH & TP on the valve the pilot goes out. I have The fireplace hooked up to a 100lb tank with a dual regulator. I put a new thermopile on it and still the same issue. I did not change the thermocouple. Also when I go to read the millivold on the valve the pilot will shut off. All help is needed. We cannot afford a service call.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hmm. It could be a couple of things. The pilot looks to be too small, for one. There is an adjustment screw on the front of the valve.
It is hidden by a silver slotted screw.Remove that screw & look behind it for the adjuster. You will need a small slotted screwdriver to adjust the pilot.
You will need a multimeter, set to milliVolts (DC) to read the thermopile, when you adjust the pilot.
Try to get the reading between 550 & 600 mV at the TP & TH-TP (or TP-TH) terminals.
Why are you jumping the TH & TP terminals? The "ON" circuit is connecting the TH & TH-TP terminals.
Another thing to check. This is a B-Vent (natural draft) unit & draws combustion air from within the envelope of the house.
There is a snap disk wired into the system that can shut down the gas flow it there is too much heat detected.
Because it's usually located near the top of the fireplace, where the MOST heat is, the sheathing on the wiring
can dry rot & fail. This can allow a short to ground..
You should try to trace the wiring to the snap disk & inspect it & see what condition that sheathing is in.
If it's crumbly & cracked, replace the wiring with 18 ga t-stat wire.
Another test is to disconnect the wires on either side of the disk & connect them. If the fireplace lights correctly,
then the snap disk may need replacing...
Do some more investigating & report back with your findings.
We just might save you the cost of a service call.
Good luck!

VIBE = VALVE?
The pilot adjustment screw should be behind the large screw that is located below & to the right of the OFF-PILOT-ON knob.
I can't read the labels on the terminal block.

Unfortunately I do not see that screw with attached is better pictures

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415982174030.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415982174030.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 487
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415982222352.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415982222352.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 311
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415982342885.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415982342885.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 285
OK. Check the thermo (snap) disk. It's located somewhere above the firebox. You will probably have to trace the wiring coming off the valve.

That looks like the thermodisk. Check the wiring to & from it for failed sheathing.
If the sheathing is good, pull the wires from the disk & attach them together.
If the unit works, replace the snapdisk.

I didn't see a thermocouple in the system.
If there is one, it seems to be working, since you have a pilot.
Generally the pilot won't light if the thermocouple is bad.
Your call.

I inspected the wires they both look good not brittle. I connected both of them. Then I lit the pilot. I I let it stay lit for a little while then I hit the on button. I heard a click at the valve. Then the pilot went out.

Status
Not open for further replies.