Gas in existing masonry hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike T

Feb 23, 2009
VT
Hi Guys- I'm mainly a wood burner but wanted to get the opinion of some gas guys. I do have a small Hearthstone gas stove in a large upstairs bedroom.

So- I have a brick fireplace that had a "slammer" wood insert in it. It was basically a shoulder season stove and emergency heat stove. No piping, etc- it used the masonry chimney to vent. I closed up the chimney with a cap after the draft from the unit when it was not used was too much too bear, so the stove is being removed.

I actually did like the idea of a heat source there. I know I could put a better insert or stove there, but that would mean a metal chimney, etc.

Is there a low cost gas alternative that would suit me instead? It would have to seal well in the hearth to avoid the draft issue, so I believe gas logs are out of the question. The ability to vent to the masonry chimney to keep it low cost is appealing too.

Thanks

Hi Guys- I'm mainly a wood burner but wanted to get the opinion of some gas guys. I do have a small Hearthstone gas stove in a large upstairs bedroom.

So- I have a brick fireplace that had a "slammer" wood insert in it. It was basically a shoulder season stove and emergency heat stove. No piping, etc- it used the masonry chimney to vent. I closed up the chimney with a cap after the draft from the unit when it was not used was too much too bear, so the stove is being removed.

I actually did like the idea of a heat source there. I know I could put a better insert or stove there, but that would mean a metal chimney, etc.

Is there a low cost gas alternative that would suit me instead? It would have to seal well in the hearth to avoid the draft issue, so I believe gas logs are out of the question. The ability to vent to the masonry chimney to keep it low cost is appealing too.

Thanks

A gas unit will work & the only required seals would be insulation in the damper area of the fireplace where the venting passes thru (which will run up the inside the existing flue), & under the cap plate on top of the chimney. If there's a clean out in the floor of the fireplace, that's where the gas line & (if required) electrical feed can be brought in. You need to measure the size of the room to determine the amount of heat you'll need. That will give you a starting point for looking at units, whether free-standing or insert type.

Good info so far. Am I correct in assuming gas logs won't work with my requirements? I would think by your reply its going to have to be a free standing or insert style.

There is no clean out, its on top of a bluestone slab. I could always drill in to the brick. I'm just thinking about this and whether to seal it off for good, put in gas, or an inexpensive insert.

Good info so far. Am I correct in assuming gas logs won't work with my requirements? I would think by your reply its going to have to be a free standing or insert style.

There is no clean out, its on top of a bluestone slab. I could always drill in to the brick. I'm just thinking about this and whether to seal it off for good, put in gas, or an inexpensive insert.

Gas logs will be the same as burning wood. The fire will give you a little warmth, but all of the real heat will go up the flue...

Understood- the gas logs are not useful to me then.

Pros of gas- Flush mount possible with gas fireplace , no chimney liner, possibly less expensive unit, no chimney maintenance.

Pros of wood insert - No running a gas line.

Does this sound correct?

Understood- the gas logs are not useful to me then.

Pros of gas- Flush mount possible with gas fireplace , no chimney liner, possibly less expensive unit, no chimney maintenance.

Pros of wood insert - No running a gas line.

Does this sound correct?

You will need to line the chimney for DV gas unit., but it is virtually maintenance free.
Depending on the unit you choose, or what will actually fit your fireplace, the cost will vary.
You will have to clean the glass & vacuum underneath the gas insert, but that's about it.

Everyone who burns wood will tell you the same things:
There is nothing like wood heat
It is a whole lot of work.
Maintenance is imperative. Lack of maintenance could cost you your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.