Gas Insert Concrete Board Surround & Taping Seams

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kal72

Jun 25, 2018
toronto
I am using metal studs and cement board to reface my brick fireplace and prepare for a new gas insert. I am NOT planning on tiling the surround, just planning on doing a simple painted finish over the cement board. unfortunately, I will have a seam in my concrete board just above the fireplace insert, which will not be covered by the outside frame of the insert. Will regular joint tape melt or be otherwise compromised (crack) in this location? I suspect 2 " above the fireplace will be the warmest section of my new surround, so I am concerned.

Any other concerns with painting cement board?

You will probably want to use Durabond 90 or something similar to cover that seam.
It will hold up better than joint compound, & in fact, it's recommended by Regency
for finishing non-combustible board around their gas units.

So its less about the tape and more about the mud? Thanks! And good to know Regency feels the same way. When I look at pictures of fireplace surrounds most of them have opted to cover the cement board with some sort of tile.

I have seen this done as recommended by manufacturer and still crack. I'd really recommend tile, veneer, etc